Networking

Having trouble networking my 2 computers with one on win 98 and one on xp pro, networking between 2 Win 98 computers is easy but Win98 and XP is giving me worms,i'm also half blind now,can anyone give me a lecture on this or some direction,it would be most appreciated.

Cheeser:(

Go in the TCP/IP of your network cards and set up IPs, for instance:
IPs: first pc 10.0.0.1 and 2nd to 10.0.0.2
set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
share your folders

This page might help;
_http://www.practicallynetworked.com/networking/mmr_netwk_setup.htm
but more importantly, that site will help

if both puters aren't formatted in fat32 then u got a big problem
they can't see each other. if xp if formatted in NTFS.

cheeser
i suspect win 98 is using netbeui and windows xp doesnt install it you need to install on xp comp
if you explore xp cd there is a folder called addins or extras
something like that which contains netbeui for xp
not sure ezactly but someone wiil know

theres no need for both to be fat32. Any file system is ok.

for winXP, from my network places, then at the left side, choose view network conections. right click on your netcard, select properties and theres all the tcp, file sharing options. the rest is just like in win98.

also you might need to set up an aditional user in winxp with the same username and password as that in win98.

cheeser said:
Having trouble networking my 2 computers with one on win 98 and one on xp pro, networking between 2 Win 98 computers is easy but Win98 and XP is giving me worms,i'm also half blind now,can anyone give me a lecture on this or some direction,it would be most appreciated.

Cheeser:(
Check XP, sometimes it firewalls by default the network connections.

One of the easyest way's to get XP or 2K and 98 to work without log in is or seamless ackses is to enable the guest accounts on all the systems with out a password and setup sharing of all hard drives and folders

TCP/IP of your network is in ControlPanel-->Network conn--> Lan or high speed..
Then open your lan connection icon, in the general tab there's a list of protocol and stuff..scroll down to Internet Protocol TCP/IP
Set as I said before and leave the other fields blank.
Set win firewall OFF
Right click on the folders you want to share
You're done ;)