Need advice: thinking of switching from XP Pro to Win2000

I have XP Pro on a low-end machine. The reason I put it on is because I was tired of the instability of 98.

Problem I have now is that my HP scanner isn't compatible with XP Pro.

I was thinking of switching to Win2000, hoping it will be solid like XP (i.e., way less lockups where restarting the computer is the only option). I think my scanner is Win2000 compliant, even though I know I need to double check that before I undertake this task.

I have absolutely no experience with Win2000. Can somebody give me a little direction on this? Am I making incorrect assumptions here?
I'm wondering if Win2000 is a step backwards from XP? Or is it basically the same without the prettiness of XP or the user-freindly-ness of XP?

Last edited:
There are several threads here discussing this issues.

Of course Win98 is unbearable.

If you have a CPU > 500 Mhz and > 128 MB of RAM, you will love Win2K (or XP). Many people in this forum, me included, still prefers Win2K over XP for many reasons. In short, XP is not well tamed yet. They seem to be pretty much the same in the basics besides the arguable cuteness of XP. And then you’ll have all kind of troubles with some software, drivers or peripherals that won’t run on XP. Plus all the privacy and anti piracy issues with XP.

many people would say Linux but ... in a Microsux world the least worse incarnation and more pragmatical approach seems to be Win2K

So, I’ll stick to Win2K for a while.

Going from XP to Win2000 is an upgrade as far as I'm concerned.

I also have a HP 4200c scanner and works fine under W2K.

Wedge! Did you check for the right driver on the HP site, Just before you turn to 2000?
I have an HP scanner, and it works fine with my XP Pro. I just downloaded the appropriate driver using the hp support site.

I have tried the XP driver at HP's web site. I have a 3300C and although HP might claim it works I can tell you that it is a problem with many owners of this model.

dx

Sadly Wedge...Poko is right. HP is more interested in selling the hardware rather than supporting it with Windows driver updates. The older an HP device is the less likely they will support it.

Just like Creative...they expect you to upgrade you hardware to their latest and greatest every year or two. :rolleyes:

agree generally with thread

HP sux my Dad doesn't sell their products anymore because of their poor driver performance

2000 is heaps better than XP

I was using XP and switched back to 2000

2000 is NT version 5, XP is 5.1 I reckon

2K Pro Rocks

my machines run for months with no problems at all.
regarding HP....When CD burners first came out,i bought 3 HP CD burners.Cost then was $350.00 each! They lasted exactly 1 year before they wouldnt work anymore...and along the way it was a friggin NIGHTMARE. HP refused to compensate me or give me any kind of credit at all[after several repairs too].I wouldnt buy ANY piece of CRAP from those ba*tards...EVER.
they will never get another penny from me.They SUCK. Their service SUCKS too.
The morons mounted the lasers in plastic! so the heat would deform the laser mount and the burners were nothing more than boat anchors.
several zillion coasters later i threw them all in the GARBAGE and bought some Plextors.End of CD Burner problems from there on.

Last edited:
borogovio said:
I'm running W2k -> my HP printer + scanner only prints.
When I run W98 -> prints and scans !!
Removed the HP burner that was between the puter and the printer (bought a Liteon), and now the printer works properly (prints and scans).