Need advice on encoding/menu creation software

Brduk

Hi all,

First post, please go easy on me :)

Okay, first a little about what i'm trying to acheive and a brief history of my previous DVDR experience.

First off i'm looking for some decent quality, stable, software to encode DivX & Avi files to DVD, I am also looking to have some sort of integrated menu creation tool (even if it's basic) as well as an option to burn the files straight to DVD. Usually, I have about four 40-50 minute video files to burn to DVD at a time.

Previously I have used VSO's DivXtoDVD to encode my files, and DVD shrink to burn them to disk. I found the early releases of DivXtoDVD to be stable, quick and reliable. Since upgrading to later versions I have found this not to be the case, i've also had problems with DVDShrink 3.2 where it will simply cut out during it's encryption process, whether this is a problem with DVDShrink or the file encryption by the VSO software I dont know. I also find myself bogged down with large GB's of encrypted files by using two pieces of software for the one job.

Therefore, i'm looking for something else on the market that is more stable than these two programs. I've heard about a program called The Film Machine, and also Sonic Scenarist, but to be honest i'm not sure if either satisifies the criteria I have listed above.

I'd be most grateful for any help, thanks in advance.

Welcome :)

Scenarist is a professional grade authoring application, and imo way too complicated and expensive for the average user, and nowhere near an all in one solution.

The film machine is getting close, the author is very responsive/helpful and does great job developing it.
It should have the options you seek.
Have a look for yourself.
http://forum.dvdrbase.info/forumdisplay.php?f=207

I tend to use dvd2svcd with cce as encoder.
I encode audio to ac3 with sonic soundforge utilizing the sony ac3 encoder or i use the ac3 encoder in tsunami dvd author.
I author with tsunami mpeg dvd author pro or dvdlab pro.

This does take some time and some hdd space but is (as long as your system is stable) a rock solid solution.

:)

Last edited:

Brduk

Hi Bionic,

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I downloaded The Film Machine and set about a four video file project. Firstly, I could not locate any menu creation tool, then, upon adding my four files I got the following error message;

"You have to choose Mediafiles with the same videocodec, framerate, resolution, audio codec, audio samplinrate, audio channels and number of audio streams. If these properties are not the same, they can't be merged together."

So it looks like there is some pretty strict file criteria when using this software, which probably enhances quality but detracts from ease of use.

Are the other software programs you have listed so rigid in their application or would they be flexible enough to handle differing file attributes?

Thanks for your suggestions so far :)

Dont use it, but i believe the menu creation is incorporated.
The reason this warning/error is displayed is because TFM tries to join the different files together before encoding and authoring.
Fex. as in a dvd encoded to avi then split in two to fit on two cds.

Have a look at Tsunami/Tmpgenc(pegasus) solutions. Good quality output, affordable and stable.
Fex. the TSUNAMI MPEG DVD EasyPack Suite
http://www.tmpg-inc.com/product/deps.html
Or a two step solution.
Encode with dvd source creator or tmpgenc express then author with dvd author.
http://www.tmpg-inc.com/
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html
:)

Last edited:

Brduk

The-poacher said:
Re encode with virtual Dub to make avis same
How long will this take with four 350MB video files, TBH I'd rather not add significantly to the already extensive time spent encoding. If it's a 5 minute job then fine.

The-poacher said:
use Film Machine with DVD2SVCD as encoder
Is there definately a menu creation tool with this software? If so, where can it be found?

The-poacher said:
Use DVDLAB Pro to author
Will have a look at that

Brduk said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on Adobe Encore DVD 2.0?
To cumbersome for my taste, much like sony dvd architect. And its not in any way a all in one solution.
Adobe does provide a demo though so why not have a look for your self.

Brduk said:
How long will this take with four 350MB video files, TBH I'd rather not add significantly to the already extensive time spent encoding. If it's a 5 minute job then fine.
Depends on your system, but 5 minutes....not likely. Best way is to try.
Use divx or xvid, set the bitrate high and use two pass(to avoid too much loss of quality). Or even better(if you have the hdd space) use a lossless codec.

Brduk said:
Is there definately a menu creation tool with this software? If so, where can it be found?
Why not ask the author ? hes a keystroke away :)

TFM with 2x 700mb avis and using cce as the encoder using the roba option setting .. it takes my 2.2 amd with 1gb ram about 2 hrs max depending on what my computer is doing at the time besides encoding :)

2x700mb is pretty the same as using 4x 350mb avi files i guess :)

roba option produces pretty good results if you use good quality sources in the first place :)

Zilexa

This is the only reason why I prefer DIKO above TheFilmMachine, with DIKO Free you can create a menu, the avi's you added to the project will be selectable.
www.vmesquita.com
It is a must-have when creating a DVD with episodes from a serie!

I put 8 episodes (350MB and 40 min each) on one DVD+R. For audio I set it to 192 or 160 kb/s since the original audio is mp3 and this is Dolby you wont here difference.
Quality (using HC encoder @ Best, with Notch or HC matrix) is similar to TV (analog) or VHS.

But now that most people have dvdplayer with mpeg4 support I don't create DVDs anymore.