need a 24/96 sound card recommendation

i want to buy an audiophile 24bit/96kHz sound card;
multichannel is not important, but a must have is the ability to ignore the "Copy Bit" via S/PDIF-In; mainly i want to remaster my DAT cartridges and some LPs to CD-R;

ignore Copy Bit is mostly a discreetly feature and not documented in the features list (because copyright scruples), so there are only rumours about this ability; this way i like to get experiences from you my forum mates; :)

my options are:
M-Audio "Delta Audiophile 2496" 159,- €
Terratec "EWX 24/96" 119,- €
Terratec "DMX 6FIRE 24/96" 169,- €
Echo "Mia" and RME "Digi96/8" are too expensive for my needs; :rolleyes:

Greetings from
Duracell

Buy the Terratec EWC24/96,bud.....a great audiophile card,not so suited for gamers,but you have a great opportunity to rip any future audioprotected cd digitally.....I wish I could find myself I @ my neighbourhood...

Hi Bro well at least you got some good brand names up and not the Blaster worm :D
Had a delta 66 long time ago it seems and you cant knock them.
I would go for one of these two..m-audio or dmx 6fire.

M-Audio Revolution ($ 100 or something like that) is the way to go... cheap, real 7-ch sound, good drivers, awesome sound quality for the money.
If you want to get a REAL pro-level soundcard, put aside $ 200 and get an Echo Mia (using it for 2.5 years and I could not consider any other soundcard- it is THAT good). Mind you that it is "just" a plain stereo card, so not good for games and such.

A friend of mine has a Delta Audiphile installed in a workstation wich is dedicated exclusively to Gigastudio and the sound is supeb and the spdif works with no problem at all with all the other equipment in his studio (A 828mkII MOTU, Tascam ADAT and a G3 with Protools)
at instalation it gave us some trouble to configure the card because it kept having resource conflicts with IRQ at the end changing the card from slot solve the problem, otherwise it has no problem at all, but I´m not sure about your specific question, what exactly is "copy bit"?

@ all: thanks mates as for now, still hoping for some personal experiences; :cool:

@ scarecrow:
M-Audio Revolution ($ 100 or something like that) is the way to go... cheap, real 7-ch sound, good drivers, awesome sound quality for the money.
yes, surely a "best buy"; i remember you often recommended this thing (e.g. for zver); but unfortunately there is no Digital-In only Digital-Out; :(

... put aside $ 200 and get an Echo Mia ...
yep, i know, i know; saw some offers around 220 €;
actually i won't spend so much money, but i still hear the devil on my sholder whispering "Buy this thing, buy it!" :eek:

@ weboneando:
what exactly is "copy bit"?
It's an added copy-protection ID to the Digital-Out signal of consumer devices like DATs and CD-Players.
This function sets the so-called “copy protection bit” which ensures that no digital copies can be made of the signal. that's why the sound card (or the driver) should be able to ignore this stupid thing;

Last edited:
Card

Yep..Revo7.1 is kick-ass..really,digital out,but anolog in..still i did took few tapes..sounded really good,bottom line-no digital in-and you want that...But...the reason why im posting is..I would really think twice about spending more then 100 e and be only stereo????You need a multichannel card..Ok..who cares couse i got 7.1.....But ability to send digital 5.1 out is a must......i wouldnt buy a sound card without 5.1 at least.....You download lots of movies..and what you gonna do??loose days(hours)to convert them to (s)vcd..Its much easier just load a image to daemon tools(alcohol)..im sure you have to have one of those on your system,and play from there.....tv-out to tv--5.1 to stereo..Easy fast and great quality with no hasllee...
Also..new audio formats are coming(you probably know that),and they need a multichannel card to work..Think about that..i think multichannel is the only way to go today... :) :cool: :)

zver said:
Also..new audio formats are coming(you probably know that),and they need a multichannel card to work..Think about that..i think multichannel is the only way to go today... :) :cool: :)

Maybe so,but do you know such card that ignores the copy bit protection?I would be happy to know 1....Last year,a dutch magazine choose the Terratec EWX 24/96 as best buy for that,also stating that future soundcards will have a lot of extra features,but NO copybit remover.......

thanks again for your comments, my friends; :)

i really don't need multichannel yet, do not have multichannel devices;
i love my old Marantz Class A/B stereo amp; have my PC, audio and video stuff connected to the Marantz, so i can switch between 2 loudspeaker pairs (1 pair ALR Entry 2 monitor speakers at my PC place and 1 pair ALR Entry 4 at my sitting room);
an audiophile 5.1 decoder + audiophile 5.1 amp + 3 new loudspeakers accordance to my Entry 4 would cost much more i like to spend the next few years; so my motto is: audiophile stereo is still much more better than multichannel sound supplied by small "yelling cubes";

RW pointed it out, the main feature should be the ability to ignore the “copy protection bit”; this is still only reported for the EWX 24/96, don't really know about the Mia (Scarecrow, did you tried it?);

Z-Cyber Nightingale Pro 6 AC-3 5.1 Dolby Digital Sound:
digitale Eingänge/Ausgänge: optisch und coaxial (32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz)
Rauschabstand: =>85dB
thanks Master, but unfortunately this is not a 24/96 card; i need 24/96 because some of my DAT are recorded at 96 kHz; also the Dynamic Range is horrible compared with the other ones (EWX & Delta: 100dBa, Mia: 106dBa); :D

Master

Gold Member
Ich glaube nicht, daß Du das hören kannst ;)
Ich bin da eigentlich sehr sensibel.

Last edited:

Master

Gold Member
I have a good electronic education and i am an hifi freak (not Grundig ;) ) and i am pleased with this card....a mia isn´t needed for your needs

btw ..i am still blond an tall..like a real german :D

Last edited:
@ master: your link must be cookied. This is what I get from it:

Diese Website wurde soeben aktualisiert!
Bitte hier klicken

is "copy bit" the same as SCMS (serial copy management system)?

Download the manual for the card from the home site of M-Audio (about 600kb) in it this subject is explained in detail so this way you´ll know if the card fits your needs.

Last edited:
weboneando said:
is "copy bit" the same as SCMS (serial copy management system)?
yes, it is;

Download the manual for the card from the home site of M-Audio (about 600kb) in it this subject is explained in detail so this way you´ll know if the card fits your needs.
did this allready, but there is only the outgoing data stream mentioned, not if it ignores the incomming one; nevertheless many thanks for your teamwork; :)