NEC ND-3520a

I found this at cdfreaks. So the question is to wait or not to wait?:)

NEC ND-3520A to support 4x DVD-R DL, 6x DVD-RW and 8x DVD+RW
Posted by Johnny on 22 November 2004 - 11:19 - Source: FCC.gov

Some information about a new DVD writer from NEC, the ND-3520A, has showed up at the Federal Communications Commision (FCC) website. The user manual reveals that the main new features compared to the ND-3500A are support for 4x DVD-R DL, 6x DVD-RW and 8x DVD+RW (but please note that the specifications are subject to change). <o =""></o>

<o =""></o>

If you thought that you would be able to flash your ND-3500A to a ND-3520A you will however probably be disappointed because the ND-3520A seems to be based on new hardware. The block design shows for example that the ND-3520A uses a µPD63641 DSP and a µPC3340 ASP while the ND-3500A uses a µPD63635 DSP and a µPC3335 ASP.

<table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="400"><tbody><tr><td align="justify" valign="top">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" width="75%"> <caption>NEC ND-3520A preliminary specs</caption> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2">Write speed</td> <td colspan="2">Read speed</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD+R DL</td> <td>4x CLV</td> <td>DVD-ROM SL</td> <td>16x</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD+R</td> <td>16x CAV</td> <td>DVD-ROM DL</td> <td>7.3x</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD+RW</td> <td>8x ZCLV</td> <td>DVD±R</td> <td>16x</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD-R DL</td> <td>4x CLV</td> <td>DVD±RW</td> <td>8x</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD-R</td> <td>16x CAV</td> <td>DVD-Video CSS</td> <td>5x</td></tr> <tr> <td>DVD-RW</td> <td>6x ZCLV</td> <td>CD-ROM</td> <td>48x</td></tr> <tr> <td>CD-R</td> <td>48x CAV</td> <td>CD-R</td> <td>48x</td></tr> <tr> <td>CD-RW</td> <td>24x ZCLV</td> <td>CD-RW</td> <td>32x</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Access time DVD/CD:</td> <td>140/120 ms</td> <td>
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Buffer size: </td> <td>2 MB</td> <td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
</td></tr></tbody></table> To find more information about the ND-3520A go to FCC's website here and do a search for ND-3520A in the product code field.

dx

I've already decided that I'm gonna wait. From what I've read, the OEM drive will be less than $100 US. Worth the added expense, compared to the 3500A. It's only a month. ;)

Hello Folks,

I believe the firmware wizards at CDFreaks (http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86) will be able to hack the NEC ND-3520 firmware so that it will be able to be used on the NEC ND-3500. Those firmware wizards at CDFreaks have been able to do magic with the NEC firmware. Just give them folks some time and they will figure out to hack the firmware.

Best Regards,
Coaster

There's no wizardry to be applied here, I'm afraid... unless you believe in black magic.
Different chipset means different features and commands, so I don't hold my breath.
And unless the new chipset is proven solid, to me 3500 is still the best buy.

Unfortunately none of those media are available at the moment and no idea when they will be, but sounds cool anyway. My 3500A does everything I want it to do now (and very well indead :) ) and will for some time to come. :D

I called a warehouse I deal with and he says he thinks we may see the drive at end of feburary if we are lucky (more likely March) due to the weak dollar (we all know who to thank for that :rolleyes: ) and he things maybe the end of the year if where lucky on the media. So I going for 3500 this week. :cool:

ChickenMan said:

Unfortunately none of those media are available at the moment and no idea when they will be, but sounds cool anyway. My 3500A does everything I want it to do now (and very well indead :) ) and will for some time to come. :D
Just outa curiosity, what firmware are you using on your 3500?