NEC DN-1100A Problems

ambrusch

I just bought a brand new NEC DN-1100A DVD+RW drive and I've really been anxious to start making some DVDs; but the software that I'm using will not recognize the burner. I'm using Ulead MovieFactory 2 on a Windows Millenium platform. Now, I've disabled the DMA, updated the registry, used a patch (just in case); but I just can't get this thing to run. I'm thinking that I need to get an updated driver from NEC; but that's like searching for something that doesn't even exist. I really don't want to go buying or downloading more software just to find that it doesn't work either. Can anybody help me!?

Last edited:
a note here ..... from what i have read that the 1100a is a dvd+r not dvdr ....and you are not alone with getting it to work ?!

this problem seems to be resolved in most cases with newer updated IDE drivers :)

ambrusch

Re: IDE Updates

I updated the motherboard's IDE drivers with all of the available VIA IDE controller drivers that were available from ECS. I still can't figure it out. It's probably something so simple, so stupid that I'll kick myself when I get it.

ambrusch

Also...

...and I installed Nero 6.0 Ultra and got the message "The Win-ASPI file '?.?' could not be found, therefor you can only select current image recorders." When I go to the configuration utility in Nero, it gives me a message box that ultimately says "unable to initialize WNASPI32.DLL." I don't even want to mess with a .dll file.

Last edited:

ambrusch

Re:

I read the post you referred me to and read up on the ASPI bits. I downloaded an ASPI driver from Nero's site and it seems to have done the trick. Now, I have to get to burning something. Thanks a lot for the help! I wonder if the ForceASPI program will work for the Ulead program...

Last edited:
aspi from ahead should be used with care as it often causes more problems than it fixes :(

Most people here used "force aspi" as POACHER pointed out search the forum there is a download available here in zip format and also instructions how to use it :)

if you have no problems burning now then i suggest maby don't use force aspi :)

as often the quote goes ..... IF IT AIN'T BROKE WHY FIX IT :)

:)

VIPER_1069 said:
aspi from ahead should be used with care as it often causes more problems than it fixes :(
The only problem I know is that it blows sometimes in systems with a regular ASPI layer installed, due to the fact that Windows considers it as an obsolete ASPI driver (it's numbered much lower than ASPi 4.6X and 4.7X). Of course you can open the .dll with something like Resource Hacker and change the version number to something higher than 4.7.etc - but doing that may cause Ahead claiming that you violated their software copyrights.
I've tried also Poikosoft ASPI, but it never worked very well for me.
Best solution is ForceASPI 1.7, leave 1.8 alone.

VIPER_1069 said:
Thanks scarecrow!, :) for the additional 'ever' present TECH knowledge side of things bud lol :)
Actually a friend of mine has an exotic XP system with LVD (SCSI) harddrive, so he HAD to use ASPI 4.7X. He was unable to make a bootdisk of Acronis TrueImage, as this program burns the disk using cdrecord, which does not work well (or at all) with 4.7X. So he used the above hack with the nero ASPI locally after my suggestion and all went well- although I feel guilty for pushing him to potential illegality! :p

ambrusch

Nero 6.0 is freezing now...

Well, I've burned two DVDs successfully so far; but when I try for bigger ISO files (~1.5 Gb), my whole machine freezes up. I'm guessing that it's the read buffer. I maxed it at 80 Mb; but I can't figure out what else I can do.

wearethepeople

I have just read your query about the driver for the DN 1100-A and wondered if you remedied it as I have the same problem and would like to fix it