Msconfig

I am wondering is there a msconfig utilitie in Win 2000 like there is in Win98,or a Similar one i just loaded win 2000 after useing Win 98 for years ,and i used to use that Utilitie for shutting down on boot up all the programe you do not run in the background.

Thanks in Advance Cheeser:confused:

Earlier in dos/windows 3.0 3.1 and 3.11 you could use a prog called sysedit , to edit different systemfiles in one window. This prog opened autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini , system.ini and protocol.ini. Here you could tweak your system and choose how your configuration was. With the msconfig prog. microsoft has made a (maybe) more intuitive prog, where you can decide more or less the same things that you did with the old util sysedit.
Now you do this in a more "secure" environment. Where it is not so easy to destroy your systemfiles. Here you can choose which frivers shall load at start, and which programs shall start automaticly and which *.vxd`s to load, all inn a "nice" and easy GUI

It is often a driver for a device in your pc, a driver for a specific hardware or a virual device..... A system file that almost always loads dynamically with your system and give you acces to what you have in your pc of hardware and software

Last edited:

Laz

Yep, I use it on W2K too.

I also use two other great little proggies that are small, simple & brilliant IMO.
------------------------------------------
"Startup Control Panel"

Startup Control Panel is a nifty control panel applet that allows you to easily configure which programs run when your computer starts. It's simple to use and, like all my programs, is very small and won't burden your system. A valuable tool for system administrators!

Startup Control Panel is compatible with all modern versions of Windows, including Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP.
----------------------------------

And

----------------------------------
"Startup Monitor"

StartupMonitor is a small utility that runs transparently (it doesn't even use a tray icon) and notifies you when any program registers itself to run at system startup. It prevents those utterly useless tray applications from registering themselves behind your back, and it acts as a security tool against trojans like BackOrifice or Netbus.

StartupMonitor does not require Startup Control Panel, but it complements it nicely. When you choose not to allow a program to register itself, the program's entry becomes disabled in Startup Control Panel, so you can go back and enable it later if necessary. StartupMonitor watches the Start Menu's Startup folders and the Run entries in the registry.
-------------------------------

Both are free from :- /http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I would not run a system without either. ;)