Modem+Linux

O.k took me a couple of days to sort out my system and get Linux to dual boot .....sorted that out but forgot to have the external modem connected...

IN XP the modem Drivers were installed from a floppy.

Q. how do I install these drivers in linux ??

Linux does detect the modem but I can't connect to www so I am assuming it needs drivers??

New to this forum and new to linux so any help would be grateful

Thankx

Have you tried to configure your internet connection using PPP or KPPP? I'm not positive about this, but I think that is all you will need to do if Linux detected it. What flavor of Linux are you using? (RH, Mandrake, SuSe...) Oh, and what kind of modem?

Strype

If your modem its one of the so called "win modems" (those internal cheap modems of $10 dollars) then your its NOT A MODEM its a communications device with software emulation modem. This software modem its licenced and therefore hard to find on linux, just some providers make it available.

Check this site for more information about this:

htt*://www.linmodems.org/

Last edited:
My modem is a hayes accura external modem.

I re-installed linux [mandrake 9] with the modem connected.It was detected.I put my isp details into the settings using the wizard then tried it.

Still can't get out.!!!!:mad: :mad:

hXXp://hayes.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/hayes.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=ok3ux2sg&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_prod_lvl1=4&p_prod_lvl2=5&p_cat_lvl1=%7Eany%7E&p_search_text=Linux&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=3&p_sort_by=dflt

The only modem I could find was the V.90 56K RS-232 External, so I am hoping that id the modem you have. I hope that helps you.

Strype

Thanx Strype. It's now fixed :) Seems that Mdrake 9 can be buggy if yer got any USB stuff as well !

Oh well, I've started now just a few thousand more things to find out what makes linux tick :p