mldonkey help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i tried to start the kmldonkey on my suse 9.1 nothing happened but a messagebox popped up which said : connection rejected ( firewall turn off)
how can that be?.
Regards
J.

Do you have an iptables or shorewall firewall turned on?
BTW the best way to use MLDonkey is by installing the executable as a service, and controlling it via the embedded web interface (localhost on port 4080)- forget all the buggy graphic interfaces.
If you can't make MLDonkey run as a service under your SuSE, PM me... it's not difficult at all, but not totally trivial, either. Personally I never ever had any trouble making it running as a service under all my Linux installations (Mandrake, Debian, Slackware- sorry, no SuSE... not a fan of commercial software), but I did have some problems making the last windows builds running as a Win32 service.

Last edited:
Valmont said:
mmmmmmmmmmm.......................bye kmldonkey.
and them? xmule, lmule, amule, gnutella???
regards
J.
Nah... amule is the best of the bunch, but STILL Mldonkey controlled via browser is the solution of choice.

teach me ( Pm me ), please.....................step by step, like a 5 years old child.
best regards.
V.

Last edited:
I can't attach files to your current email at the forum, so:
1. Create a user account at your SuSE named "mldonkey", group "mldonkey", put in any user pass you like. 2. Boot one with it, the system will create the necessary /home/mldonkey folder(s). 3. Now you can put in /home/mldonkey the latest static binary (or you can compile it yourself, without GUI support, this will save several kilobytes from the binary. For that you need the source, some dependencies already installed, and maybe a couple of tips from the program WIKI: http://mldonkey.berlios.de/modules.php?name=Wiki
Compile by using ./configure --enable-pthread --enable-directconnect --enable-soulseek --enable-fasttrack --enable-opennap --disable-gui
After that run just "make" and the static binaries will be ceated at the root of the source directory, "make install" is not applicable. You'd better run the whole ./confing and make procedures logged in as "mldonkey", although it won't harm (probably) if you do that logged as "valmont" or whatever else.
4. If you feel uneasy about compiling it, you can get good static cores here- just put them into /home/mldonkey directory.
http://www.8ung.at/spiralvoice/
5. Now you need a "daemonizer" for your Suse 9.1, personally I use Mandrake but it isn't difficult to adjust the demonizer for SuSE... just PM me your email and I will send you the thing- either on script or RPM form. Mind you, that i f you want the thing I'll send you to work you MUST make an "mldonkey/mldonkey" account, with the home directory being /home/mldonkey.
Making a new "mldonkey" user is also good security-wise, as even if the core gets hacked user "mldonkey" can't access user "valmont" files and vice versa, unless you make "valmont" a member of the "mldonkey" usergroup.

The Mldonkey daemon will be accessed via http://localhost:4080 on a browser window, or via any home network computer, or even remotely. For the latter two to be accomplished you must give the appropriate permissions, which is rather easy- just ask again...

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmm, i like your explanation very much!!!!!!, please send me a daemonizer for suse 9.1 ( pm you mi email ) ,( mandrake 10 don`t works with my nvidia, and my old sound blaster isa ). I will use the binaries, it seems more easy ( i.m a new in linux )
tnx!!!!!!!!
V.

Last edited: