.mkv files

http://www.videohelp.com
I remember seeing a tutorial there...
But also virtualdub mod can deal with mkv files(Matroska).
Thru reading on hudrogenaudio forum Matroska look as a perfect solution for container.It looks so advanced-compared to other formats,but really i dont have encounter any mkv yet.So maybe you can try this.Open a file in vdubmod,set audio and video and save as avi :)
You can find vdubmod on sourceforge.Its free too :)

Cheers guys I too had read the one that u elude to PC guy,and it is straight forward to uncompress once u have avi2vcd,however it does not seem to want to play ball keeps telling me "could not add source filter " I think the ogg codecs are needed....oh zver tried vdub does not recognise file...

MKV supports video and audio formats that are not compatible with AVI though. For instance an MKV file could contain say RV10 video and vorbis audio, so simply remuxing with VDubMod may not work.

The moral of the story is: after much protracted messing about reading various posts and tutes,and running around downloading different pieces of kit for de-commpression and codecs etc,and then finding out that they still dont work,Ive decided to bin the only file in MKV format that I have downloaded which was A good movie and am going to stick in future to the auld tried and trusted Avi/Mpg format!!!!! otherwise my poor 120 gb h/d will look like a giant receptacle for codecs and de-compression tools...thank you and good night .. :eek: