Microsoft attacked over Vista name

IT seems just about everyone is slating Microsoft for its new OS name choice, but the latest to have a go at The Mighty Vole are two charity groups that help health care organisations set up US Veterans Administration software, reports Infoworld.
WorldVista and The VistA Software Alliance are upset with Microsoft's choice, believing there's going to be a fair bit of confusion between the veteran admin software and Microsoft's Next Big Thing. Barbara Boykin, chair(wo)man of the VistA Software Alliance is especially irate: "The confusion created by Microsoft and its choice of the word 'Vista' is an affront to the people who take care of our nation's veterans." She added that "Microsoft is demeaning the passion and dedication to our veterans by expropriating the name Vista."

VistA perhaps has reason to be a tad uppity, since the group has been around for 20 years, providing electronic records for millions of veterans across 163 hospitals, 135 nursing homes and 850 clinics across the country.

According to Infoworld, a Volette said that Microsoft did a thorough search on both AskJeeves and Yahoo [this bit is a joke, Ed.] before picking the name, to ensure that Windows Vista would not infringe on any trademarks. She said since the name of the new Microsoft product will be Windows Vista, it's clear that it's a Microsoft product and there shouldn't be any confusion.

banzibaby said:
I just think it's a silly name :)

BaNzI :D

And a silly OS........Too much restrictions....usually,the person who bought the computer,owns it......but that's not the case anymore
when LongHorn/Vista goes final... :mad:

Agreed, but it's next big thing.. everyone felt the same way about XP, and it's a lot more popular now, so we'll just have to see I guess..

roadworker said:
And a silly OS........Too much restrictions....usually,the person who bought the computer,owns it......but that's not the case anymore
when LongHorn/Vista goes final... :mad:

You have to remember its Micro$hit and they want to rule the world!!!

Exactly dx m8, i heard that most folk will need a new fangled monitor that has copy protection built in, plus it has increased DRM & that trustworthy computer thingy.

Still at least one good thing should come out of it, once most punters find out that it will limit their freedoms then Linux will get a big boost :)

banzibaby said:
Still at least one good thing should come out of it, once most punters find out that it will limit their freedoms then Linux will get a big boost :)

Lets hope. :eek: I'm starting to believe that majority of people are stupid and the numbers are climbing at epidemic proportions, at least in the USA.:rolleyes::eek:
God help us all!!!:p

dx said:
Ummm... thanks for the credit, but I didn't post anything yet. ;)
Whoops, sorry m8, both U & getty have small av pics & my eyes aint what they used to be :rolleyes:

I dont really see the need for Vista (LMAO) as M$ is still workin on Blackcomb.