memory loss

What happened to my other half? I bought a stick of apacer (single-sided)pc133 256mb but it is showing 128mbs only?????
can anyone tell me why?

Thx.

It is possible the ram you brought is either incompatible to your other ram modules or to the mb chipset itself (i've seen it happen), test the dimms separately, and check for that the contacts are firm into place & clean.

Last edited:

dx

Don't want to speak for you Malbogia...but what I think he's trying to say is...try the memory in other slots on your Mobo. Try the one closest to your processor first and move outward.

newby also makes a good point...you didn't mention it hohowan, but are you using more than one memory module? And if so it is the same spec memory?

Good points by everyone!
Key factor always when buying RAM is to make sure they are all the exact same (same brand, same types, etc...).
Never a good idea to mix RAM up.

On the other hand, possible you also got a bad stick or RAM.
Apacer isn't the best brand around... but it does work (very popular in asia).

sounds to mi he/she got a memory bus running @100 while ram rated @133 could B wrong in this case.Two systems I've had a look at lately had problems with memory and it was due to there MOBO bus speed.
1) Once pc is switched off etc etc:D take out your orginal stick of ram make a note which bank it was in B4 hand.
Now replace it with this stick of 133 giving you problems and power up. this way you'll be able to see if its this stickat fault or a combination of them both.

It is possible the system supports no more than 128Mb per bank - and that "double bank" (I prefer that to "SIDE" as the physical layout and logical layout are not neccessarily concurrent) memory may be needed.

Boards based on the old AMD750 (Irongate) chipset are NOTORIOUS for this and other memory issues - usually undocumented!

Thanks to all who replied. The MoBo I'm using is an old Asus p2b-f running @124fsb currently with pc100 128mb-dublesided, pc133 256mb doublesided, pc133 64mb-singlesided, and the problem pc133 256mb singlesided. I have tried it by itself and moving it around...no good. anyway the good news is that the place where I bought it will exchange it to a doublesided one for me or willing to get one that will work for me. I want to OC to fsb 133.
Thank you all for helping.
Have a merry Xmas

dxkim said:
Don't want to speak for you Malbogia...but what I think he's trying to say is...try the memory in other slots on your Mobo. Try the one closest to your processor first and move outward.

newby also makes a good point...you didn't mention it hohowan, but are you using more than one memory module? And if so it is the same spec memory?
lol

and i thought that rasta was the one who needed translations :D

need to give more info