Media from Taiyo Yuden or Mitsumi?

Hi you helpful folk,

Anybody know which brands are made by Taiyo Yuden or Mitsumi?
Which are sells in Europe or especial in Germany?

in Germany i never seen CDR labeled with "Taiyo Yuden" or "Mitsumi";

my writer is an RICOH MP7083A 32x8x8; in poko's advice i used "TDK Reflex Ultra CD-R74 24x" and CD-R80; the dye was a blue one; never had problems with this brand;

now there are no more CDR 24x speed available; i bought the same brand with 32x speed; and now ca 3 of 10 CDR brings "Media Error" nearly after starting to write;
if i try to simulate, there are no errors in simulation, but same errors while burning; all the same in Nero, CloneCD and WL (WL in other system & partition); the 32x seems to be another brand, the dye looks now bright greeen;

Any advise for me?

Greetings from
Duracell

Taiyo Yuden Company Limited- Taiyo Yuden,Fuji, 3M, Sony, Philips & Imation------Mitsui Chemicals- Mitsui, HP & Philips

thanks Blane,

will give Sony & Philips a chance, the other brands i've never seen;
here is the ATIP info by CDR Identifier;

the old "TDK Reflex Ultra CD-R80 24x"
ATIP: 97m 24s 01f
Disc Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Ltd.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 73f / LBA: 359848)

the new "TDK Reflex Ultra CD-R80 32x"
ATIP: 97m 15s 05f
Disc Manufacturer: TDK Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

The TDK Golds here in Australia have been made by Prodisk but recently their stock has moved to CMC Magnetics and took a dive in quality.

Mitsui's Gold made in Tiawan available here are made by Prodisk but unfortunately there supply has recently dried up. I hope its just a tempory supply problem.

thanks to all of you guys;

i have some black Intenso in my cupboard; CDR Identifier says:
ATIP: 97m 32s 19f
Disc Manufacturer: Prodisc Technology Inc.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)

if this is a good choice, i will get some more for data;
Verbatim and Silver Circle i've seen too in the markets;

Fuji, HP, Imation, labeled Taiyo, labeled Mitsui and labeled Prodisk are not availble in german markets;

so i will try the Philips too, to grab "made by Mitsui" for audio;
will share my experience in a few days;

thanks again
Duracell

Duracell intenso's are very good choice bro. us them all the time now for about 2 years now.
The black version are very good for your data.

thanks boys,
got some packets of good old Taiyo Yuden TDK's in another town,
enough for next half year;

Greetings from
Duracell

generally I have found that with the TDK and a few other brands that are made by Taiyo Yuden... on the box or the label of the CDs it will say if it is manufactured in Japan. <---- all so far that I have run through CDRIdentifier v1.63 have come out with Taiyo Yuden manufacturing.

Hopefully it's a good tip for when you're buying CD-Rs (look if made in Japan).

PS
can find some good online deals for blank TY CD-Rs:
www.pricewatch.com
Just search for taiyo yuden media

(often see good deals on 100-600 packs)
*ofcourse some stores only deliver to the US.

Last edited:
Apparently there is a very distinctive screw top (not just the plastic button/plug or whatever it is) much wider - on the spindles for Taiyo Yuden. As Ive said, they are incredibly rare in the UK, mainly due I think to the middle men making more of a killing out of the crap.

yes that is true too.
The ones I have baught have the screw top for the spindel packs. (black disk flat like screw ontop that you unscrew to then reveal hole ontop to remove the spindel cover.
Guess I lucked out =) hehehe.

dx

Yes, Shadoe is correct and I have confirmed this with a friend at TDK USA. I made a post about this some time ago, but I can't find it. Doesn't matter...

In the USA at least...TDK-Taiyo Yuden's are "Made in Japan" lettering, while "Made in Taiwan" are Ritek's...at the moment anyway ;)

Phil K said:
CMC are pure SHITE.
Verbatim in slim cases are also CMC. AVOID !!!!
Philips are now CMC. AVOID !!!!
I do agree with your statement about CMC.
Philips multipurpose are indeed CMC, the Silverspeed untill now from Tayo Yuden.
Recently bouht Verbatim's slimline 700MB 25p package 32speed, made in Japan shows up to be Tayo Yuden so I will certainly NOT avoid them.

Aye Yie Yie ! The Verbatim spindle you say is Taiyo Yuden ? Interesting. I saw those in Tesco and somewhere else I've been in in the last couple of days....problem being the spindle had the appearence of a CMC one, not the Taiyo screw top. There are also Verbatim 40 speed slimbox too. How did you see the country of manufacture ? I didnt see it anywhere.