LTR-52246S disappears in WinXP

gmknobl

I have the above drive. When I start my system all works find but if I don't use the cd-rw for several minutes, say around 45 to an hour, the drive disappears and is not listed in My computer or on the device manager.

The only way I've found to correct this problem is to reboot the machine.

There's got to be a simple way to fix this or find out if the drive is bad.

I have:
Asus A7N8X deluxe 2.0 latest bios
Athlon XP 2700+
SCSI hard drive
DVD-ROM drive
430 Watt power supply
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
Windows XP Pro - all critical patches applied.
Alcohol 120%
Nero 6

Oh, yeah. Firmware on Lite-on is latest version "F".

That should be all that applies.

gmknobl

I can if you can tell me where those logs would reside. Dr. Watson has not come up by itself. I don't know my way entirely inside XP so please be specific to combat my ignorance factor.

Thanks

(It will be a while since my computer's at home and I'm at work right now.)

scarecrow said:
It is either voodoo, or bad system configuration.
Can you pass at least one recent Dr. Watson log?

C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/Dr Watson/
Howdy?
(pass also the user.dmp file which you can find in the same directory). They may be big, but if you zip them they can fit easily as an attachment here.

gmknobl

scarecrow said:
C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Microsoft/Dr Watson/
Howdy?
(pass also the user.dmp file which you can find in the same directory). They may be big, but if you zip them they can fit easily as an attachment here.
Okay. That directory makes sense. Does this mean dr. watson will run any time there's a device that disappears without even signs of it in the Device Manager? I.E. there will be a dump file there? Dr. Watson never came up while any of this was going on. As far as my pc is concerned it has a drive that just appears and disappears without hurting anything else or notifying anything else.

Telecorder

Disappearing Drives in Win XP-Try This to start

gmknobl said:
I have the above drive. When I start my system all works find but if I don't use the cd-rw for several minutes, say around 45 to an hour, the drive disappears and is not listed in My computer or on the device manager.

QUOTE]

gmknobl:
I've been fighting an almost identical problem :( with my CD-RW and DVD-ROM drives for the last month or so, as well. Thus far, I've been unable to determine or resolve the issue(s). I posted in the PC Hardware section of this board and have had some good responses from roadworker that has been very responsive and informative. (Also posted on CD FREAKS :( without any responses...) Check out my posts and responses at: Disappearing CD-RW/DVD Drives-WIN XP

If you're still having the issues, one way to start to identify some of the problem(s) is to use the Event Viewer (START; Control Panel; Administration Tools; Event Viewer) Right Click and send to desk top as a shortcut. Open Event Viewer and double click on System. This will detail the ongoing information and Errors. If the Event Errors are the same, it may be similar causes as mine.

In my case, the CD-RW and DVD drives start failing to respond within the timeout periods and then they 'disappear' from the system entirely only to come back upon reboot. During the intervals when the drives are failing to respond, the system slows every five seconds during the unsuccessful polling of the drives.

At first roadworker indicated that it may be due to the Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) install and issues with the IdeChnDR/drivers. After removing the IAA and resetting for the bus to a standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller, I was able to access the drives and use them for a few hours but then the system started with the atapi reporting errors with the IDE Devices failing to respond and the drives 'disappeared' all over again.

At this point, I've rebooted and used Device Manager to disable both drives until I can open my PC and disconnect each of the drives to see if I can isolate if its the drives' hardware, connections or ...??

As a suggestion, you might review my posts and see if your issues are the same or similar. Likewise, you may want to post in the hardware section for assistance. It seems, from what I've read, that CD-RW and DVD drives are susceptible to 'disappearing', especially with Intel mobos, chips and IAA. Good luck and let me know if you find a resolution on your issues...

:)
Telecorder

Try run NeroCheck.exe and reboot your puter.

I'd the same problem a few months ago and NeroCheck have fixed some bad registry entries and all lost drivers came back.

If you have Nero installed, you can find NeroCheck in Windows\System or Windows\System32 folder.

I hope this help you...

:)

Henry168

gmknobl said:

I have:
Asus A7N8X deluxe 2.0 latest bios
Athlon XP 2700+
SCSI hard drive
DVD-ROM drive
430 Watt power supply
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro AIW
Windows XP Pro - all critical patches applied.
Alcohol 120%
Nero 6

Oh, yeah. Firmware on Lite-on is latest version "F".

That should be all that applies.
What is the temperature of your cpu fan? With the AMD cpu's it really heats up a lot.. thus sometimes causing some strange problems. Just a thought.. I've had a similar problem with my system and with my liteon burner. After I had cleaned my cpu fan and had better ventilation, my problem went away. Just a suggestion.

Henry.