Ltr 32123S has problems with XP

scorpiov

I have an AMD machine with an Affrey DVD player on secondary master and a Lite-on ltr 32123S on secondary slave.I just did a clean format and reinstalled Xp yesterday. It has detected the dvd drive and the Cd-RW. BUT in "My Computer" it isn't displayed. The the Control Panel -- System -- hardware --device manager. I can see the drive, BUT it has an error. it says its off or something. The drive has a normal powersupply that works and the data cable is in proper. XP has plug and play drivers. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it. Still the same thing.
Don't know what to do.....kinda lost

Check if the jumper on the back of the drive is seated properly, replace the cable if it's 80-wire with a 40-wire one, and finally set the burner as master and the DVD-ROM as slave.
DMA should be turned on for both drives.

Last edited:

scorpiov

Thanks scarecrow..but it still aint workin

hi scarecrow..youre the only one who tried to help. You have my eternal gratitude. Let me give yu the whole story so yu get an idea what the problem is.
I was running an AMD Athlon (1.4 Ghz) machine on which i installed XP (without any Service packs). The machine already had th Affrey DVD ROm on it. I got the Lite-on CD Writer and put it in as secondary master sending the dvdrom to the slave. I dont remember what happened, but im pretty sure it dint work. Then I tried putting the writer as slave. It worked , well parially anyway. WHen the system bootes\d up, i couldnt see the writer and had to run add hardware wizard. once the wizard ran it was detected and added immediately.
Then I formatted and reinstalled XP yesterday. This time it was XP with SP1.
Both drives are detected but the LTR is not dispayed. THe SYSTEM shows the device with an exclamation next to the icon. Upn checking device properties it says "This device cannot start (Code 10)". When i remove the DVD rom it detects it normally. I followed ur instructions. Set jumpers on both making the Writer a master and DVD a slave.I have NO CLUE about DMA, so i couldnt do anything abt it. The Cables are 40 pins for both, so no issue there. Anyways now the system Displays the DVD ROM and instead of a writer i have a Hard DISK icon with exclamation mark.
Im Totally and completely lost. How do i set the DMA? will that fix the problem? is there any other solution?

Requesting some more help if u dont mind
Scorpiov

If it's an AMD Athlon then it's probably a VIA chipset mainboard- can you confirm?
If your AGP bus is not 8X then you don't need any VIA busmasatering drivers- the ones included in XP are good enough.
For setting DMA status, go control panel/system/hardware. There find the IDE/Atapi controller icon, expand it and pick the secondary IDE channel (I assume this is the one holding your Atapi devices, the primary holding the harddisk(s). Rightclick/properties, and switch from "pio mode only" to "dma if available". Setting needs rebooting to be applied.
If it didn't work and the devices switch back to PIO4, then you must enter system bios while booting (del or F1 or F2, it depends on the BIOS vendor, and do two things: setting the "PnP OS" setting to DISABLED, and setting the secondary IDE channel DMA modes from "auto" to "UDMA2". Also you might have to disable the harddisk S.M.A.R.T. feature, because some mainboards are not SMART at all and can perceive Atapi devices as IDE! :D

scorpiov

i give up

Its a via chipset. I checked out the DMA thing. ITs set to Dma if available (i even changed it to PIO mode and then back again to DMA for good measure. As for the BIOS, ill write what i saw in the PNP config.

Reset Configuration dAta - disabled

Resources Controlled by - [auto(ESCD)]
X IRQ resource (this part was disabled)
INT A Assignment - AuTo
INT B Assignment - AuTo
INT C Assignment - AuTo
INT D Assignment - AuTo

THE SMART HDD was disabled
How do u make the PNP OS disabled? i dint see that n the bIOS..
I hope im not annoying u now...
Sheesh...How i hate thse new Service Packs,....they make life hell for me.

scarecrow said:
If it's an AMD Athlon then it's probably a VIA chipset mainboard- can you confirm?
If your AGP bus is not 8X then you don't need any VIA busmasatering drivers- the ones included in XP are good enough.
For setting DMA status, go control panel/system/hardware. There find the IDE/Atapi controller icon, expand it and pick the secondary IDE channel (I assume this is the one holding your Atapi devices, the primary holding the harddisk(s). Rightclick/properties, and switch from "pio mode only" to "dma if available". Setting needs rebooting to be applied.
If it didn't work and the devices switch back to PIO4, then you must enter system bios while booting (del or F1 or F2, it depends on the BIOS vendor, and do two things: setting the "PnP OS" setting to DISABLED, and setting the secondary IDE channel DMA modes from "auto" to "UDMA2". Also you might have to disable the harddisk S.M.A.R.T. feature, because some mainboards are not SMART at all and can perceive Atapi devices as IDE! :D

scorpiov

DOne it!

I know this going t sound wierd..but i changed The writer to Slave, and made it PIO only..And it worked. Th device has been detected and is visible. As for its functinality, that remains to be seen. I ll keep u posted should anything crop up. Thanks a ton man, you're a Genius!

Scorpiov.

scarecrow said:

scorpiov said:
I know this going t sound wierd..but i changed The writer to Slave, and made it PIO only..And it worked. Th device has been detected and is visible. As for its functinality, that remains to be seen. I ll keep u posted should anything crop up. Thanks a ton man, you're a Genius!
Scorpiov.
That is half good news, because with the burner set as PIO you won't be able to burn at full speed...
I'm afraid that you have "one of those" DVD-ROM's which operate only at PIO mode (eg the Acer/AOpen ones could not be set at DMA mode), and so the device caps your IDE bus to PIO mode...
Please try moving the DVD-ROM as slave to the harddisk (using an 80-wire cable that time, and IF the primary slave slot is empty of course...) and leaving the burner alone as secondary master, and at DMA mode. If it works without making your harddisk crawl (which shouldn't happen logically...) then it's the optimum solution.

What motherboard?
Being able to set INTA-D assignments - only ever saw that on some rather old ones!

Updating the 32123S to latest firmware (if not already there) may help the drive to pair nicely - it does sound like those two drives are not playing nicely together.

The 32123S apparently supports UDMA2 - ATA/33 - and that's the most you'd get on a 40 wire cable anyway - and most DVD-ROMs tend to be UDMA2 as well - if mixing Ultra and non-ultra devices, setting the mode down (but still keeping DMA) can sometimes improve stability

scorpiov

ill check it out.

haven't installed nero as yet.so i havent been shattered by the speed issue. Ill put the DVD onto primary slave. I dont have an 80 pin cable..all of them are 40s. ill try to give the writer DMA. AS for my motherboard, the PC is a combination of stuff that ive collected over the years. its open naked and Raw, just sitting there, 4 fans blowing away. the motheboard is Gigabyte 7XDR with VIA chipset, i updated the via drivers yesterday for bus master. and plan on flashing the BIOS when i find a working update. At present im still trying to put together a flash thing thats due in 2 days..God how i hate these management types who have no respect for creativity.!

Ill try out the suggestion and let u guys know ASAP.
Thanks
Scorpiov ;)