Looking For Cheap Laptop

Can anyone provide advice on where to get a cheap leptop, I'm a student so I want to avoid spending too much, the main use would be doing university work on the move and in places where I generally won't have access to a computer cluster (I think writing drunken Java in the Old Bar)

And remember, I'm a cheapskate :D

http://www.sterlingxs.co.uk/scpages/ibmtoshibalaptops.html
£234.99 for a Thinkpad 600 (P-II 300 / 128 Mb / 5Gb / CD-ROM) £317.24 for DVD-ROM model
Most of theirs seem to be US keybord layout, though ALL laptop keyboard are utterly horrible.

They do have some UK keyboard models - the COMPAQ ARMADA M700 STUDENT SPECIAL looks rather neat.

The only decent keyboard on a portable was the Amstrad PPC!

PS. If you buy a secondhand laptop, make CERTAIN there are no locks - it's a real pain if you can't get into BIOS, and IBM Thinkpad security requires a stripdown and desolder of the EEPROM to break it - no quick fix.

Depends where in the world you are, the best thing to try is a search on yahoo,com input laptop or notebooks.

Location- UK

By the way, how slowly would a java program compile on a 366MHZ CPU (that is the speed of the M700 student dpecial at sterlingxs)

malcontent said:
Location- UK

By the way, how slowly would a java program compile on a 366MHZ CPU (that is the speed of the M700 student dpecial at sterlingxs)
Lengthy code would take several hours to compile, even for C- coding. It depends on your application.

ging

A Warning.

I recently lost £500 to a fraudster on Ebay whilst trying to buy a laptop.

He had a positive feedback from 153 users. Unfortunately/ fortunately for me he was arrested the day after i sent the money. The police found 108 laptops amongst various other items (stun guns included!) at his address.

try and buy from people who run shops on ebay and only pay via paypal, nochex etc. if you think a laptop is dodgy there is always another one down the page.

good luck

ging

Have VIA processor laptops started to permeate the market yet?

I've seen one or two but I haven't found any availiable in the uk yet