Liteon Combo 48161H driving me crazy!!

fsh42na

For the life of me I can't get this drive to record CDR's faster than 16x. I've updated my firmware to the latest KHOP. The media I'm using is verbatim 24x. The funny thing is that I had a 48x liteon prior to this that would burn this media at 32x. I'm using Nero 6.3 and Windows XP (all current updates and aspi 4.6). I recently purchased a dvd burner that only burned cd's at 16x so I got the combo to give me faster cd burn speeds (or so I thought).

Below is my system:

DFI lanparty B
2500 XP Barton
1gb Buffalo PC3200
Radeon 9800 pro 128mb
Liteon 48161H combo (master on sec.ide)
Pioneer dvd 107d (slave on sec. ide)
Seagate 200gb hd (master) and Samsung 120gb hd (slave)
Windows XP w/ sp1 (and other other critical updates)
Antec Truepower 480
Lian Li pc65

dma enabled on all drives.

I might just give this drive away. My previous liteon burner (non-combo) had no problems whatsoever. I even tried the trial version of NTI cd maker to see if it was software problem. Still couldn't burn faster than 16x!!

What am I doing wrong? Should I try another combo like Sony or Samsung?

fsh42na

Oh yeah,

I forgot to say I tried to burn using the 48x media that came with my drive and still was limited to 16x.

Just another nforce issue, it seems... you were not too specific, but I guess your motherboard is actually Lanparty NFII ULTRA B, correct?
Nforce chipset is a real pain to set up properly for optimal Atapi devices' performance.

fsh42na

scarecrow said:
Just another nforce issue, it seems... you were not too specific, but I guess your motherboard is actually Lanparty NFII ULTRA B, correct?
Nforce chipset is a real pain to set up properly for optimal Atapi devices' performance.
yes, it is the lanparty nf2 ultra b. I also have the ultra a. Curious thing is that I also had an EPOX 8rda+ which also uses the nvidia chipset. This was used in conjunction with my liteon cdrw, win xp,etc but I didn't have any problems with it. Also my kids have a Soltek 75frnl Nvidia board and their liteon cdrw works fine. So I don't know about nvidia being the culprit. I'm gonna have to try swapping out the combo for my plain jane liteon 48x burner to see if I get some help.

jesus_verga said:
are you PIO?
He has aready said: "DMA enabled for all drives".
I'm afraid it's not easy to suggest something reliable without having the machine handy. Did you install any vendor drivers, or you just use the ones XP SP1 provides for busmastering?

fsh42na

well I got so frustrated with this drive that I replaced with my trusty liteon non-combo. It burns my 24x verbatim at 32x. The drivers I'm using are the windows drivers. A couple of days ago, I decided to try the Sony combo drive to see if it would help. Nope. Same limitation at 16x burning! I give up. I'll just stick to my straight cdrw and dvd burner.