liteon 48x24x48x audio cdrs wont play...

monkies

This is really weird. I've been burning audio cdrs in thie burner for a couple weeks. (I've had it for a couple months... I havent used it for audio much) At first all the cds I burned would play, but I would have to skip to the second track or the player in my car would just scan for 30 seconds or so and give up.

So, today I tried burning some new cds. Now they wont play at all... the cdrs do play in my pc's cdrom and my dvd player. I don't think it's the player, because my other pc has a plextor 40x12x40x and I have no problems with cds that were burned by that drive.

I'm using memorex 48x's. I think. ;/

I've tried burning at 40x on one of the cds today, it didn't help.

I've used both nero (5.5.9.13) and windows media player. (on xp pro)

I am at a loss. Any ideas? Is the liteon dying? Some ASPI weirdness?

Thanks in advance. ;)

try the discs in a friends car cd player cos if the cds u burn play in the pc and your dvd player then its probably nothing wrong try a different media

Try taking it down to 24x - Car players are notoriously fussy, and some so-called 48x media gets really ropey at higher speeds - Memorex are not greatly regarded.

One guy tests with a Liteon and a Plextor, and media that the Liteon has difficulty with often burns much better in the Plextor - though it can level up at lower speed.

Media that's poor at 48x is rarely much better at 40x - need to drop it to 32, 24, or the drive's best CLV speed (typically 16x).

monkies

Ok... so I tried 24x... still no go. I guess it could be the cdr's themselves, but my car's cd player can handle it when I burn the same memorex cdr's using the plextor at 40x.

When I have some free time, I'm going to do burns at 8x and 16x, but that's just ridiculous. A 48x cd writer that can only write valid audio cds at 8x or 16x? And that's assuming that those cd's work. I understand that the memorex cdrs might not be the best in the world, but in my opinion this problem is the fault of a shoddy burner.

A buddy of mine used to tell me to just stfu and spend the extra money for a plextor. I'm beginning to agree with him.

I'm thinking this is probably the last liteon product I ever buy. :mad:

On the topic of quality cdr's, who makes good cdrs? I've always just gone out and bought cheap ones because I've never had a problem. Nice to see that I can't do that with the liteon. Weeeee...

edit: In my bitterness I forgot to mention, thanks for the suggestions. At least I have a better understanding of what's going on, even if the problem hasn't gone away... :D

Last edited:
Check out www.thedolphinreview.com - this guy's tested several media's with a Liteon, and recently added both a Plextor and a Liteon DVD-RW - the more recent tests include the 2 or 3 drives.

It seems that current Ritek manufactured media often agrees with the liteon - the Memorex is most likely CMC (poor to adequate at best - some CMC's work brilliantly in Liteon, others are barely useable)

In another test, I forget where, the Liteon DVD-RW (actually a +RW) proceded to wipe the floor with the Liteon CD-RW - making good burns on almost any media that was not absolute junk.

PS. Iv'e been bitten twice by Memorex CD-RW media - and read of trouble with their ULTRA-RW too - they seem to scrape the bottom of every barrel for media!

Memorex stamps cheap CMC media, which are really crap... My home CD player (Sony 930) reads just about any media in the world, but this is not the norm. In fact the Teac CD-ROM I've got in my Toshiba portable simply refuses to read any CMC or Princo crap media.
So- try another media brand, and let us know.

genesisreview said:

My Memorex media is made by Pro Disc
They can also be Mitsubishi, which ought to be a bargain... Prodisc are generally decent quality media, although not tops. But these are small badges, the big majority are CMC crapola- and since you cannot tell without checking the media code in the inner circle of the CD, which is not always easy to do, you'd better avoid Memorex completely.