Liteon 1213S @ DRU710A

Watching the progress at a couple of other forums, not brave enough to try it myself.

With a ripped and crossflash-enabled BY01 firmware from a Sony DRU710A (16x + DL) the 1213S gets a personality transplant.

Early results are:
1. It works
2. Transfer mode of ATA/66 becomes available
3. DVD +R (not sure if also -R) gets P-CAV writing
4. Significant number of media codes added
5. Some media improved, though it seems others may worse, or just as bad as they were

6. 16x mode - no really satisfactory results, the best reported were readable, but with very poor error test results.
7. DL media - looks like nobody risked the price of one yet, disappointment that the new chipset drive is still only doing 2.4x on DL at a time when others are pushing to 4x

I'm itching to see if P-CAV mode makes it into the next release of 1213S firmware, though according to one supplier I spoke to, the 1213S is being discontinued - it appears they are not planning to have the 1213S and 1613S / 1633S models on sale together.

Even if discontinued, the 1213S should continue to get updates, for as long as the 16x3S models are current, as it's the same hardware, though the 16x models may have uprated motors, as the 1213S apparently struggles to hold maximum CAV read speed.

The only leak available seems to be the BY01 (DRU710a).

Some reports on BY01 and other firmware at Cdrinfo, not as rosy as those at Cdfreaks.

At Cdrinfo, the guys that test the drives for review, put a 1213S @ DRU710A through it's paces (and also with other 1633s BS0?), and it tended to produce unreadable results, though they were pushing to 16x - something that the Cdfreaks mob generally reckoned was not satisfactory.
In BS0A, the 16x media was dropped to 12x, and results were a little better.

The jury is out, and maybe some later firmware is needed before any real conclusions can be drawn, maybe the 1213S will hack, maybe it won't, or maybe it depends on the date.

Meanwhile, TS0D firmware arrives for the 1213S - though it does not carry the same expansion of media codes as BY01 ... match more media, but not MUCH more.

Oh well, hand edit for the media codes that I hacked for TS0C, and try a simulate on my fastest media, to see if they put P-CAV mode in - I doubt it!

Leaked SOHW-1633S and Memorex F16 firmware also available now - results are still mixed, and it looks like they are actually backing away from 16x support.

It seems the others do not go for ATA/66.

Results on a 1213S still appear to be very mixed - and not fantastic even an an original 1633S or OEM of:

A growing opinion that Liteon really dropped the ball with this one, and generally beaten soundly in burn quality by the Pioneer 108 (at amazing prices for a Pioneer, even if it is OEM), and by the NEC 3500a - the only thing the Liteon does well, maybe TOO well. is read testing with Kprobe - and other drives can go further there, with jitter tests that the Liteon can't do (BENQ 822a).

Liteon are apparently making massive shipments, but it would seem they are shipping their worst drives ever, patience is wearing thin for the resolution of the initial firmware and tuning weakness that seems to be traditional for Liteon DVDR drives.