Linux Distribution

02coled

hello

does anyone have any recomendation on the Distribution of Linux i should download as im just looking at running it and having a play. And quite frankely there is loads lol :p

thanks again
Damian

for a totally no install try KNOPPIX for a first look no hassles of installation and then look in the LINUX thread here at dvdrbase theres loads of recommended versions :)

the current LINUX guru here no doubt is SCARECROW he can maby add more to this thread for you :)

Easiest ones are Mepis (an easily installable LiveCD, based on Kubuntu), and PCLinuxOS (another easily installable liveCD, based on Mandriva- formerly Mandrake). I'm slightly biased towards the latter, but this is a subjective thing- IMO you should try both as live CD's before installing, and then you could pick one.
Both are limited, regarding some features, but the missing parts are mostly geek stuff- I guess you will be happy with both.
If you want to bite the bullet and plunge in the deep at once, then I can suggest Kanotix (absolutely the best liveCD out there- Knoppix based), or going the hard way and install a real geek distro (Slackware, Arch, Debian Sid, or Gentoo... I consider all other distros inferior, in many ways- perhaps excluding the good, but very annoying to setup Fedora).