LG CD/DVD Error: "D:\ Is Not Accessible"

jondoh

I'm using an LG Electronics GMA-4020B CDR/RW, DVD+-R/RW, DVD-RAM Multi Drive. I'm having trouble burning a simple data CD using the Windows XP burning feature. When I insert a blank CD nothing happens. If I click the D: drive, I get this error message:

"Windows Explorer -- D:\ Is Not Accessible -- Incorrect Function."

I can, however, get the drive to read a data CD made using the old CD drive (no longer installed), and the XP burning feature. I can also copy these files back to the hard drive.

Also, when I checked D:\Properties I found that the Recording tab is missing, ie, I can't enable Recording.

I've enabled IMAPI and installed ForceAspi, and everything is reportedly working properly.

Anybody know why the LG drive can't recognize the CD and implement its CDR/RW feature?

Windows XP Home Ver 5.01.2600 SP2
eMachines T2042
Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
eTrust Free AV/Firewall Suite
2GHz Intel Celeron Processor
512MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
Intel 3D AGP Graphics
10/100Mbps Ethernet
CDR/RW DVD+-RRW Combo

Looking at your problem I think that you did not uninstall the old CD drive before putting the new one into your system.
Now Windows is confused :p

Try this; go to your device manager and uninstall primary ide, secondary ide and your bus master ide controller.
Reboot your system and let it install everything again then you should be ok.

jondoh

Right on the money, poco81! Thanks a lot for your help.

I was trying earlier to install the LG drive along with my old CD drive. It wouldn't work, and by the time I was through trying I guess Windows was a bit confused :) .

I just burned my data CD using XP burning and it was perfect, as usual. I've probably burned over 100 discs using that simple feature with economy CDR blanks and have never had the first dud.

Right now I'm in need of freeware that will image my hard drive. It doesn't have to be fancy or well-known - just accurate. I keep my C: drive very lean and can easily fit an image onto one 4.7GB DVD-RW.

I'm itching to go, so any info you or the other guys might have would be greatly appreciated.