LDW851S - Burn process succeeds, but nothing on CD

martinxporter

I have changed my Sony CD-R/RW unit (CRX210E1) for a LiteOn LDW851S.
I want to use the LDW851S to burn DVD's and CD's.
I am using Nero 5.5 and WIndows XP (home).
My problem:
When I use Nero to burn a data CD, the process completes with the success message, but nothing is written to the CD.
When I remove the CD from the LDW, Nero does not report that the drive is empty - it completes the burn process and reports success!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
DaVid

Welcome. :)
Can you post the log file from in the nero folder with out your serial on it? That will give us a good idea of whats going on.

martinxporter

log file attached

Good gracious!!!
That was quick!
I have out the log file as an attachment; it's called log.txt

David

PC-GUY said:
Welcome. :)
Can you post the log file from in the nero folder with out your serial on it? That will give us a good idea of whats going on.

Attachments

Well I say 3 problems.
1, You need to install ASPIs.
2, You need to turn on DMD in your BIOS or in windows.
=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : ST3120023A atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : JLMS DVD-ROM LTD-165H atapi Port 0 ID 1 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
And 3 I'll take a guess that you have windows xps built-in (useless) burning engine on. Well shut that off and start with those tips and let us know how you make out. :)

martinxporter

how do I turn on DMD

I've installled the aspi's. I've run the check program - and it's fine.
How do
" 2, You need to turn on DMD in your BIOS or in windows."

I think I know how to turn off the windows burning engine.

Thanks
David

He also has RecordNow installed (or Winamp 5 professional, or Sonic-something, or Prassi Primo DVD), which normally shouldn't be a problem with Nero 5.5.X, just with Nero 6.X.
But the recorder picked at start is NOT the Lite-On, but the nero Image Recorder... so the inserted medium is OF COURSE empty, what you have got is an .nrg image on your HD (just search for it...). BTW what the heck are you trying to burn, cache a whole web page directly to CD? :confused: (your log reports http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash being cached to be burned to CD... you will NEVER be able to do that, unless you have a T3).
PS1: Nero does NOT explicitly need ASPI, period.
PS2: DMA is off only for the DVD reader, which wouldn't harm much. It is on for the burner, but since the burner was not used at all it would'n matter that much, either! :p

Last edited:
martinxporter said:
I've installled the aspi's. I've run the check program - and it's fine.
How do
" 2, You need to turn on DMD in your BIOS or in windows."

I think I know how to turn off the windows burning engine.

Thanks
David
First I ment to say DMA and that link I gave you has the details how to do it all. :) Also I've seen more problem with nero not have ASPIs installed so that a good thing you did that and by no means it can't hurt. Read around the forum and you find alot of burnning problems are just because no ASPIs installed. Let us know how you make out. :)

martinxporter

Problem solved - downloaded newer verion of Nero

Thanks for explaining that the recorder that Nero was using had nothing to do with the Liteon.
I visited the Nero site and downloaded the latest version for my OEM version 5; (i.e. 5.5.10.56)
That immediately solved the problem.
Once again, thankyou both.
What an excellent site this is!!
Regards
David