Knoppix 3.9 released!

N.B.

Staff member
What´s new ?
<ul>
<li>OpenOffice 2.0 BETA (german and english)
<li>KDE 3.4
<li>Kernel 2.6.11 and unionfs update
<li>dist-upgrade (all packages were updated to Debian/sid brach)
</ul>

Download:

german <a href="http://ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-DE.iso">here</a>.
english <a href="http://ftp.knoppix.nl/os/Linux/distr/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.9-2005-05-27-EN.iso">here</a>.

N.B. said:
dist-upgrade (all packages were updated to Debian/sid)
Yeah, that's a BIG step forward... Knoppix was a great multipurpose LiveCD, but the mixture of Sarge and Sid made it next to unusable for HD installation. Of course the same applies for previous "easy" LiveCD distros, like the overhyped (and IMHO crippled) Mepis.
I would like to compare this one to the ultimate and most polished Debian Sid live distro available, namely Kanotix. Thanks for the news.
BTW it's funny to see Knoppix using 3.4.0 just a couple of days before KDE 3.4.1 is officially announced! (I'm already using it on Arch Linux, and it works perfectly).

Last edited:

N.B.

Staff member
yeah, you are right, and as you state, it is not really ment for hardware installation, so that is fine with me.
It boots up quite fast from the CD anyhow, and detects the hardware accurate, now even my wlan card from Intel works perfectly!

And KDE 3.4.0 looks very nice ... I am ready to throw away my Windows installation!

Cheers for the news N.B. :)

I been tryin most of these knoppix live cd's, will give this kanotix a go as well, cheers guys :)

BaNzI :D

For desktop usage Linux noobies which want a comprehensive Windows replacement can also try PCLinuxOS (Mandrake based). It's very good, but rather a bit inflexible for my taste, and its default kernels are somewhat cluttered (and slow). But it includes everything right out of the box, including nvidia and ati drivers, MP3 playback, DVD ripping, P2P, wireless support, advanced ACPI and speedstep for laptops...