Kerio Firewall Beta 6

Hi All:)

The question is....

Every once in a while kerio pops up the Has Detected A New Network Interface & asks me if it is 2 be trusted or not.

If i click yes, the net & email stop workin

If i click no, then the same happens & i have 2 reboot & clear the entry 4 it in kerio

It baffles me cause the IP address it gives 4 this new interface Is NOT 1 given by Telewest.It always starts 165.XXX.XXX.XX

Have tried their Technical Support(About as much use as a fart in a spacesuit):)Tehy aint got a clue

This is on 98se, USB cable modem(Motorola SurfBoard SB4200)

I have the security set 2 high, i have never had this b4 with any other firewall???

PS. this goes out 2 other Telewest Broadband user's, my email is screwed the now, apparently Telewest was spammed twice & have had probs 4 at least the past 3 days, but it been worse the past 2:(Are all others experiancing the same?(Yep i know their email system is a joke:)But i been gettin late mail(the longest is a week)

Cheers & Appreciation 4 Any Help Given:)

BaNzI:D

Don't use this KPF version under 9X... prefer 2.14 instead.
You can resolve the address thing by opening the Kerio advanced admin console and going to definitions/ip groups and adding there a range of trusted network addresses (eg starting by 165 etc) by hand.
And yes, this thing happens with Kerio only under 9X/ME, under NT it will bother you about the isssue only once (or if you install a brand new network interface, real or virtual).

dx

Agreed. There are many peeps on the KPF Yahoo Group that have problems with KPF 3.x under Win9x, ME. KPF 3.x is optimized for the WinNT (NT, 2k, XP) O.S. anyway.

Using KPF 2.14 will solve your problems.... as it does for most KPF Yahoo Group members. Even KPF 2.14 is a great Firewall compared to the other Firewalls out there. ;)

Cheers scarecrow & dxkim:)

Will get the 2x version the now

Thanks 4 the advice:)

PS. Just been 2 the Kerio site, but can only get 2.1.5

U folks know if this 1 is ok??

Cheers

Last edited:

dx

serjer..... have you tried 3 beta 6? Quite a few complaints of bad Win2k installs have been quelled in beta 6. Either that or remnants of an old Firewall install.... esp ZoneAlarm.

Nevertheless..... version 3 b6 is still a beta after all..... so if you continue to have problems, 2.14 is available ;)

Don't know 165.x.x.x - but 169.x.x.x is the "Automatic" address that a DHCP-enabled system gives itself if DHCP fails.

Are you sure it's not 169 ?
If so, it means that your connection has problems - the other point may be if the firewall is blocking DHCP, so that it DOES fail - I believe it's UDP 67.

2.1.5? To be honest I never realized that 2.X was updated... but yes, it should be fine.
I also had the range problem under a "strange" Windows ME installation (no Internet Explorer and activeX components), plus random crashes at startup for no apparent reason. The crashes stopped when I switched to third party (non-MS) winsockets, but not the network prompts (can't recall the address range anymore).

@LTR12101B.Could U repeat that in engish:)?!?:p& yep it definetly was 165.x.x.x.x.It seemed 2 appear randomly(browsing, mail, etc)I was just worried that some 1 might be hacking me.One thing about beta 6 was i never had any entries in the attack list(how many intrusions)Even after the machine was on all night, it was always 0?

Im kinda used 2 ZA's install & forget & some of the network info baffles me?!?!:)But me email seems 2 be workin now, but i notice that i dont have many notify's from the forum(lost mail?)

@scarecrow.Yep that was the version i got of the site www.kerio.com I am thinkin about wiping & startin with a fresh OS, but am in 2 minds stick with 98se or 2000, but i think me old heap would struggle with 2000.

So far kerio 2.1.5 has been ok, lots of popup's (but no crashed games Yippee):)

Cheers 2 all 4 the advice, i knew i could count on U folks:)

Just for info I had Windows 2000 running quite decently (don't expect too much of course...) on celeron 366/128MB desktop computer as well as a HP Omnibook with celeron 300/128MB. Only minimal tweaking (disabling useless services) was needed.

Any chance U could PM with the list of services Bud or a link?

If i do go win2000 the spec is

PII 300
192mb ram
Geforce 2 GTS
Awe64 soundblaster value:)(pathetic i know)
USB cable modem
cdrom
liteon 52246S

Would appreciate it:)

Man i really need 2 upgrade:(

@scarecrow was that strange ME setup a result of 98lite?Is it any good?I use Opera as main browser & Incredimail as email(cant help it i love the little icons):)
Always wanted 2 try 98lite out, but never got round 2 it

Last edited:
banzi: Yes, it was made with 98lite pro 4.6.
Firebird 0.6 (Phoenix new generation) used as browser with Sun JRE 1.4.1. I have been using Trumpet Winsock ver.5 (not tried ver.4 yet but I was told it works even better, although it's supposed to be designed for Windows 95 only).
98Lite works great on most cases, but it does not do a good job in deactivating ME system restore hogger. I think that you must use System Restore Remover pro 1.5 to remove the hogger (plus if you wish WMP 6/7) BEFORE applying the 98lite changes.
If set correctly the Millenium kernel is faster, lighter and more stable than the 98SE one. The real problem with ME is the silly overhead put there by Microsoft, but 98lite takes very good care of it.
I'm not sure it will work well over an internatinalized 9X/ME version, but I can confirm that version 4.6 works very well over the english editions.

Last edited:
Cheers again Folks:)

@scarecrow. think i might try out 98lite when i gt the chance, as iv'e heard it really gives windows a boost on older machines by replacing the kernal with the win95 1

@LTR12101B.Thanks 4 the links, i got that DHCP prog just 2 be on the safe side.

Unfortunatly will not have the time 2day 2 reinstall, but i might give it a shot anyways:)

Regards