Kanotix 2005-04

The last version for 2005 was released on the 31st.Go grab while it's still hot :D
http://kanotix.com/Article56.html

Highlights:
  • Kernel 2.6.14.5 with numerous patches
  • udev 0.079-1 and new hardware recognition (hwsetup-ng) - no kudzu based recognition anymore. Drawback: ISA PnP not recognized anymore. For soundcards not automatically recognized, use alsaconf
  • new graphical Installer with updatefeature
  • sysv-freeze - stops dist-upgrade activating installed (but non-running) services, by default. To start a service (at boot) use unfreeze-rc.d; rcconf; freeze-rc.d or unfreeze-rc.d; update-rc.d <service> defaults; freeze-rc.d</service>
  • ACPI and DMA are activated by default (can be deactivated by cheatcode acpi=off or nodma) , also see Bootoptions (Cheatcodes)
  • Kernel optimised for modern CPU's - i586 and x86-64
  • X-Org 6.8.2 for full support of NVIDIA- and ATI-cards (users with Nvidia-cards can dist-upgrade anytime to use X-Org 6.9)
  • KDE 3.4.3
  • Firefox 1.5
  • OpenOffice.org 2.0.0-5 (not included in the LITE-Versions)
  • Unionfs-support (with Cheatcode unionfs )
  • AVM Fritz!Card DSL-support
  • Eagle USB DSL-support
  • Captive 1.1.5 (not for 64 bit)
  • Alsa 1.0.10rc1
  • AMSN 0.95 Instant-Messenger with full video-support (no audio)
  • Grub Boot-Loader for booting from CD - ideal also for rescue-missions from the commandline
  • Memtest86+ advanced diagnosis-tool for your system's memory
  • minimum hardware requirements - 128 MB RAM for 32 Bit, 256 MB RAM for 64 Bit, 3-4 GB HD for an Installation
  • special features: Netcards in a HD install are renamed and grouped to lanX, wirelessX and firewireX, but not with an update-install. Here you can run fix-udev-lan manualy.

Ah, thanks... I was rambling around the various Release Candidates, time to test that one (although to be honest I'm sold on Arch Linux). IMO Kanotix is the best desktop release for non-Linux pros... much better than Mandriva, PCLINUXOS, SuSE, Mepis, and all assorted stuff...

yup
just finished downloading the iso for 64bits..with my usb keyboard,my p/s2 mouse won't work in the live environment but with my p/s2 keyboard it does

Debian 64-bit is still flaky... My 32-bit copy is working great, although I did not put it somewhere (all my puters running Arch Linux, and being perfectly happy with it...).