KANOTIX 2005-03 is out now (2005-06-06)

http://forum.kanotix.net/viewtopic.php?t=8473
* Kernel 2.6.11.11 with many patches
* Better compression due to Squashfs
* ACPI and DMA enabled by default (can be disabled with acpi=off and nodma respectively)
* i586 optimization - not for use with older CPUs!
* 128 MB RAM required, 256 MB RAM recommended
* Unionfs support (activate with unionfs cheat)
* NVIDIA and RADEON scripts work in live mode (like sudo install-nvidia|radeon-debian.sh)
* AVM Fritz!Card DSL support (PCI und USB)
* Fritz!Card PCI/USB CAPI support ? Please use CAPI ISDN Conf!
* Eagle USB DSL Support (i. e.. AT-AR215)
* New: KDE 3.4.1
* New: OpenOffice 1.9.104
* New: Azureus replaces Bittornado-GUI (not in Lite)
* GRUB boot loader for CD start - ideal for rescue in command line mode
* Memtest86+ Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool in the extra menu of the boot loader
* ALSA 1.08 support -> works live and after hd installation
* AMD64/Centrino/P4 Mobile/Athlon XP Mobile detection with automated start of Powernowd
* ALPS and Synaptic touchpad detection
* Hibernate support when using swapfile with min. size of 1.5x RAM size (can be activated by get-resume-partition.sh after hd install)
* NTFS support for Poor Man Install
* fromiso=PATH/TO/KANOTIX*.iso cheatcode für PMI, good to use in combination with fromhd=/dev/hdXY (* is supported!)
* No kernel source is needed anymore to compile NVIDIA, ATI and many other kernel modules
* Captive can download the needed drivers from the net
:)

just finished downloading it,yet to try
roady wat's ur laptop?could b an issue with ur vendor,try to c on kanotix's forum if there've been any similar case..

Toshiba SA30-614,this model is well hidden,even @ Toshiba's own support pages......would surprise me to find info about it at Kanotix support,but gonna look for it....

Anyway,there will also be a new release of PCLinuxOS very shortly,with lots of improvements,so it's not a priority to get DMA working..... ;)

PCLInuxOS .9 likely to be unveiled tomorrow.
Roady, try to pass to grub -- noacpi noapic while booting the LiveCD, the problem is likely a nonstandard ACPI.
I had another problem with Kanotix 2005.3 (the initial scanning did not detect a usable X configuration for my desktop- FX 5200 and a Sanyo/Teac 19" TFT), so I had to leave it probe 3-4 modes (about one minute), and then hit alt+ctrl+backspace- after that a usable screen came out within seconds. It may sound odd, but some other liveCD's never manage to startX on my odd configuration.
My main objections about PCLinuxOS are mainly two: 1. the used Ocilient kernels (usable in just about any system, but VERY bloated and very slow), and the poor support for non-english systems- the only usable way I've found up to PCLOS .81a for proper Greek supposrtis copypasting configuration files from a working Mandrake installation, which is not exactly user-friendly... I hope .9 takes care of that, and anyway about the kernel issue I always roll my own custom kernels, but clearly enough this isn't a job for Linux newbies! (factly, not even for intermediates like me- rolling an Arch Linux kernel is as simple as counting to five, but rolling a Mandrake/PCLOS kernel is significantly more difficult).
With all respect to Texstar and his quality work on PCLinuxOS (plus the great contribution from Tornbjorn/Thac on -mm kernels and audio applications), Kanotix fits my needs in a better way... it's not Linux on steroids, like Arch, and using Debian Sid is a bit precarious, but it's a fantastic disto overall- Debian for desktop at its very best.

Last edited:
THX for the info,m8!......Gonna try the Grub solution... :)

I respect your opinion about PCLinuxOS,but for n00bs like me,it's an almost ideal solution....
No need to compile extra stuff,80% of my multimedia needs is already covered by PCLinuxOS itself...
Just missing some programs for 1:1 backups of games and movies,and it would have all I want from a opensource operating system.. ;)
I know about Wine ,but I want to find out if Linux itself is capable to replace the daily tasks of my windows.... :D

tried with -- noacpi,-- noapic,-- nousb and -- nopcmcia....still not booting into the desktop..
it only boots correctly with dma off or with failsafe .....oh well,Kanotix doesn't like my laptop... :rolleyes:

Anyway, Kanotix users are well advised to avoid doing a dist-upgrade of their system like hell for the time being!
The reason is the Debian Sid transition from the XFree86 graphical server to the Xorg one (used by virtually every other distro, including Debian spinoffs like Ubuntu, but not Debian pure!), and the current status of the Sid repositories is a dreadful mess- half the universe is very badly broken...
Hopefully this will be fixed "sometime", but Kanotix 2005.4 will be out by then.

thx 4 info
kanotix just crashed in front of my eyes yesterday...the reason is becoz of a faulty ram which i just discovered 2day :(

I gave it a go on my Toshiba laptop (A75-S229) The only problem Im having is no audio at this point. It even recognizes and runs my Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000. What would really be nice is to see a combination of mepis and kanotix :)