Jerky video

jakdos

I have been burning DVD films onto DVD-RW and noticed that the picture has started to become jerky. I thought it was down to my set top dvd player since it has become worse in playing discs lately. I've just bought a new Pioneer 575 player and copied a couple of xvid films onto DVD-RW. These are even more jerky. Also burnt onto CD-RW and no improvement using a different burner. The xvid files are Joey and Smallville which appear fine on my PC. I don't need to change anything in the player / TV set up do I ?

Anyone know what's causing this ? All seems fine on ritek DVD-R, but not ritek or tdk dvd-rw or CD-RW

cheers
Jak

Last edited:

jakdos

The-poacher said:
looks like media rw problem try burning em slower
I've now tried on CDR and DVD-R and still very jerky. Could be just the source I guess, but they both look absolutley fine on the PC. I've tried on both DVD and CD writer at single speed and there is no improvement. Also tried with both nero and xp's inbuilt recording.

I know the xvid hdtv version of american progs are not brilliant, but they are normally watchable.

jakdos

Converted them to SVCD and they play fine on all media :(

The reason I bought the Pioneer DV575A was because it should play divx / xvid and stop me having to mess about converting

Bah ! :mad:
Jak

Well the Pioneer uses a MediaTek chipset, no?
The files would be XviD and may therefor use multiple consecutive bframes with packed bitstream. MTK based players only like packed bitstream when there is only one consecutive bframe as with DivX.

Simple(ish) solution is to unpack the files before burning with mpeg4 modifier. However if these files work on Ritek's then it is purely down to the media. Still something to watch out for along with 3 warp point GMC that the player also doesn't support, that is if I am correct about the chipset.

jakdos

Thanks for the reply (although not sure I fully understand it :D )

I'll try the conversion and see what happens.

Jak

jakdos

Sorted it with some help from a thread on another forum.....Thx SkipTracer65.

Unpacked the bitstream and changed the n to a p in the user data. Perfect quality xvid and only took 5 mins. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Celtic Druid.

Cheers
Jak
:)