Jerky playback after encoding

mic75

Hi I wonder if anyone could help, recently I've been trying to encode a couple of avi's but when I have encoded using dvd2svcd once the encoding is complete I view the finished file and the playback is jerky and I'm not sure why I have checked the avi file with divfix that comes up with list index out of bounds not sure if that's the reason it's coming out jerky or not, is there anything I can do to overcome this problem. :confused:

mic75

Yeah the avi's do play fine before encoding that's why I was surprised at them coming out jerky after encoding

mic75

Gspot info

Here is the information from gspot

Size 698mb (or 715,536 KB or 732,708,864 bytes)

Stream and A/V Interleave - Type: OpenDML AVI
IMRR: 1.00
1/L: 1 vid frame (42 ms), p=480 Split No

Comments / Metadata

ISFT Software Nandub v 1.0rc2
JUNK (ASCII in junk chunk) Nandub build 1852
JUNK (ASCII in junk chunk) release

Video

Codec

4CC xvid Name Xvid

Stat 3 compatible codecs installed
runtime 01:36:50 (139,301 fr) x:y 576x304 (1.89:1) [=36:19]
bitrate 863 kb/s FPS 23.97 Of 0.206 bits/pixel

Audio

Stream 1
Codec

Name 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3

Bitrate 137 kb/s (68/ch, stereo)VB Fs 48000 Hz

Thanks for your help

Thanks for that, what you have is a pretty standard NTSC Xvid with MP3 audio.

In DVD2SVCD's working folder, you should have both an Encoded_Video_CCE_NTSC.mpv and Pulldown_Encoded_Video_NTSC.mpv files. Playing either of these, are they jerky ? There will also be a bbMPEG_video_01.mpg file, how does this play?

Also what are you playing them with ? If Windows Media Player, I'd suggest trying WinDVD or PowerDVD (you will have to rename these 2 files to *.m2v before WinDVD will play them).

mic75

Hiya, I do use windvd to check the files after encoding, i've checked all those three files from the dvd2svcd folder and they all play jerky

Last edited:
It could lie in the conversion of framerate, from 23.97, to:
25 FPS (PAL) or 30 FPS (NTSC).

In my limited understanding, there is something called pulldown for the latter case, or inverse pulldown.

For 24-25 FPS the only way to do it without obvious doubled frames, is to have it replay at 25 FPS (4% fast) and apply a pitch-shift compensation to the soundtrack (or seperately speed up the sound with a pitch-preserving speedup).

Now can the experts fill in that vaguely remembered method?

DVD2SVCD can do a 23.976fps NTSC to 25fps PAL seamlessly without any jerking at all, and all automatically :) As LTR12101B said, it will playback a bit faster though, about 4%, but as smooth as the original.

As you said "I have checked the avi file with divfix that comes up with list index out of bounds". An AVI should not have ANY errors at all, then I suspect that is your problem. Load the AVI into VirtualDUB, set Compression (in Video tab) to Xvid and set its Bitrate to about 1000 (original was 863), then hit Save AVI giving it a new name. Then re-eocode that AVI.

mic75

Thanks for the help chickman I put it through virtualdub but the new avi did exactly the same thing is there anything that can be done with the list index to make it correct? The new avi also had the list index error.

Re-encoding it via VirtualDUB should have fixed all errors as it re-encoded and created new headers. Run it through DivFix and let it rebuild index.