Is there a 2X For All Pioneer A06 firmware?

I have an A05 and it kicks. A buddy is trying to decide whether to buy an A06 for $165 or an A05 for $142. I'm trying to convince him to get the A05 because of the abilty to burn cheap 1X discs at 2X like me.

Any recommendations welcomed.

No there isnt any 2x4all hacked firmware for the A06 yet (or ever, who knows!) The A06 is still not supported by most of the burning software either, while the A05 is. The ability to burn +R disks with the A06 rather than just -R from the a05 is not worth anything, the DVD-R blanks are substantially cheaper than the +R blanks and will be for some time to come. Go with the A05 and save a few bucks.

Master

Gold Member
I know that CM is the guru with this stuff so it is difficult not to agree with him. ;)

but:

i would go for the 106 because you can use +R and -R media, ( i remember times when the -R media were rare)

i think that the pioneer firmware support will be better with the newer drive,

i believe that the +R media will become cheaper in the future,

i have a pioneer 105 but i believe that the +R format will succeed because microsoft supports it :mad:

Last edited:
Go for the Sony DW U10A > I Have the 105 & this baby .>
The 105 is a great burner but the Sony is better & does - & + & burns @ 4x ont cheap 4x media > the pioneer cant handle them @ 4x.

Master

Gold Member
bertieg said:
Just a quick note to this you can get +media in the UK for the same price as the -media now.
thanks for the info Bert

you can find nearly the same situation here in germany too

Master said:
thanks for the info Bert

you can find nearly the same situation here in germany too
Whilst the 106 may or may not be supported by more software?
The fact is that you just have to read the media forums, to hear the problems which people who use the Sony drives have with compatable media.

Personally I have the 106 it's written fine to cheap Princo media and worked fine with my burning software.

Thanks for the input gang. I ordered the A05. Since it does 2X on cheap 1X media, costs less, I have one just like it, and I have to "support" this drive since it if for my aunt.

My two cents is that you offered him a bad advice...
The current trend is dual format burners, or (since the +R prices have gone down alomost at the -R levels) a +R burner which has certain advantaages over a -R one.
A few pounds more for a +- nurner would be fully justified, IMHO. Of course you have nothing to lose, since it's not your burner.

NIL is working on a 106 firmware update - he had problems with the version he was working on, and is on vacation now. When he is back he will probably have it finished very soon. I have a 104, 105, and now a 106. The 104 and 105 with firmware updates let me burn to just about anything coaster-free. Hope to soon be able to do the same with the 106 on cheap media...