Is getting a Dell system a good idea

After returning home after one semester of working towards becoming a professional nerd at University, I was somewhat embarrased to find that my parents still had a 466MHz Celeron based machine (I'm writing this post on it right now). What is really amazing is that it is somehow managing to run Windows XP pro (I really hate myself for installing it!).

I know that at some point they will need to upgrade but when I am off at university, granted I may only be a 20minute train ride away but I can't provide the same 24 hour technical support that I have done in the past. I have considered directing them to buy a Dell (they use quite a few Dells in the University and they seem like good machines) and they would have the bonus of a manufacturers warranty.

Does anyone have any advice or horror stories?

Mr Snatcher

There pretty decent, we run them here at work. Really no problem except for the windows xp portion (you know all the holes it has). If your not sure, can you build them one?

PC Magazine 8/5/03 published its reader survey for service & reliability by brand. Dell and Self-built were the only desktop units for home use that came in as A+. Dell rated average or above in all sub-catagories. The brands listed as 'A' were:

Apple
IBM
Toshiba

Compaq rated 'E' and Gateway was a 'D'. My how the mighty have fallen. If you care to look at the whole article (there are some nice charts), here is a link.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1185212,00.asp

So dude... are they getting a Dell?

My sister just bought a Dell, but she never asked my opinion on the model before buying. Her model has a Celeron processor (ack) and the Intel on-board graphics chip set (ack ack). Their kids new game doesn't like the something about the graphics so it won't run. Now she wants to know what can be done. I would have to see it to be certain and she's 5 hours away. I made a couple of suggestions, but I'm betting she's hosed (a call before buying sure would have been cheaper). Oh well, money isn't really a problem for them so I don't know why they wouldn't have gotten a better one to begin with. Like I keep trying to teach my mom, inexpensive is one thing, cheap is another. Don't go cheap if you don't have to (it can be more expensive in the long run).

dx

Dell's are good reliable computers, but they are extremely propriety in their hardware. Wiring a PSU backwards and not letting your customers know, was not a wise decision. BAM! At least now they use a non standard power supply pin arrangement.

Personally, I'm on my 6th homebuilt system. I made some mistakes along the way, but it was definitely worth learning. Now I can have all the components and software that I want (or don't want) and I save money in the process. :cool:

Yeah...some of the Dells are good.Just read carefully what you are buying,checlk all the models/configurations first.The integrated video cards(as mentioned above) are to be avoided.Their (Dell)support seems pretty good.

Another problem is upgrading the motherboard.It seems Dell uses non-standard power supplies,and voltage connections to the motherboard.I have heard of fried motherboards when swapping them in a Dell.The power supply must also be replaced when doing a MB swap.Don't think that practice has changed.

These systems are fine for the average user. :)

Most people I know who buy a shop system (Dell,Tiny,packard Bell etc) eventually get PC wise & realize that as per dx build em yourself OR from a local shop built to your specs makes a cheaper better machine <> much easier to upgrade etc.U can mess with home builds a lot more than the big boys boxes.

But as per Woody fine for the average user <> especially after a 466 celeron <> will be like flying a jet instead of a glider!

I appreciate all the advice, as for the hardware, I build oll of my own systems and I think that I provide good tech support to myself (well 24 hour anyway lol)

Of course, this is a system for the parents and the brother. To be fair, they are quite good at using them and are IT literate, only problem is that they don't know hardware. The system would only be a Microsoft Officing, Printing, Scanning and Photoshopping (Brother is an artist)

if you want to leave the machine as it is ==> Dell

for upgrade compatibility ==> IBM

Greetings from
Duracell

malcontent said:
The system would only be a Microsoft Officing, Printing, Scanning and Photoshopping (Brother is an artist)
Whatever you decide to get aside, what you need to have in the box doesn't change. Assuming a modest budget, you should get at least a 2.6ghz P4 w/HT and the 800mhz FSB. No less than 1GB of the fastest ram the board will support. At least 2 HDD, pref a raid setup using serial ata or scsi. The best video card you can afford. Reason for this is digital imaging is, as you know, a very involved process. Photoshop performs much faster when the scratch pad is not on the same physical drive as the program itself. It really makes a difference. Scanning good quality images requires alot of space so a raid setup will help you there 2. I'm sure you know all of this but I wrote it just in case.