installation of dvd writer

jane barton

Hi
Wondered if anyone can advise me
i have bought a new desktop and i want to put my own dvd writer into is
only i am not to sure how to do this

can anyone help

thanks

First question, is it under any warranty at the moment "a new desktop" - though most companies will allow "standard" upgrades, many will require notification, especially if there is a warranty seal, - and all will exclude any damage resulting from the upgrade, and require original components refitted.

It's not a hugely difficult task, but it can be awkward...

Firstly, the possible blockages you may meet:
1. Is there a spare drive bay to fit it into (if not, then the only option is to replace the existing CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or Combo drive with a DVD writer
2. Unless replacing, is there a spare drive cable?
- Most current systems should have a dual IDE onboard, each one running a 2 drive cable - cheapskate assemblers may have used only one cable for 2 drives - so look in advance, or buy a spare drive cable if the price isn't extortionate.
3. Some cases may require additional fitments, they SHOULD be taped inside the case.

Before you start, catch the BIOS (usually DEL at startup), and note the IDE assignments of the drives (Primary, Secondary, Master, Slave) - you can also find this out from the Device Manager..

So: You ensure the system is powered off from the mains, and then blip the power button to ensure that residual charge is depleted.
Depending on the case design, you would normally need to remove both side panels (on the screw & slide type), to access fitting screws on both sides.

Prise out the spare bay front, and (normal case) twist & break away the breakaway plate behind (SHARP EDGES!) - I've cut myself before on those!

If there is one drive on the wide data cable, it should be master, if you add a second drive, it should be slave - with 80 wire cables, Cables Select (CS) should work with all drives assuming Master/Slave based on the cable posion - ok unless a drive is hard-set one way but placed on the opposite cable position.

So you post the drive in through the slot, fit an IDE cable, a spare power cable (may need a splitter), and then screw it into position - I like to fasten at the "four corners" if they are all reachable, though I'd leave one out if it was badly fouled - I don't like less than 3.

Another tip, gently check the screws in the drive before starting, especially if it's an assorted pack , as you want to be suree they are corerect and smooth, before trying to insert them in an awkward position.

It's fiddly, rather than difficult, and I wouldn't recommended it to a complete beginner.

Do you already have a drive to fit?
I draw your attention to the forum sponsor...
http://www.xscomputersupplies.com/acatalog/DVD_Rewriters___DVD_Roms.html