IBM denied to work

I received an IBM Netvista for a reinstall of OS (recovery disk were lost so we proceded with a copy of XP), when tryied to install OS just before entering to the license agreement screen the pc reboot itself, tried several times and every time reboots at the same point, so tried again with 2K and the same thing, since it´s kind of small cpu then decided to try with 98, all the installment went fine but at the last reboot when the system is ready just sfter the desktop shows and before the pointer changes from "sand clock" to "arrow" the pc reboots, every single time you try to boot it´s the same thing, in DOS doesn´t seem to be any problem, I already changed memory and cpu, removed everything leaving just the hd, also flashed BIOS to latest version and problem is the same, any1 has an idea of what else can be done with this? at least to find out what is wrong in the Mother.

Also booting in safe mode with 98 just before the guide screen comnpletely appears in the desktop the system resets.

Last time I had this symptom it was a blown capacitor in the PSU which leaved the system with current stability problems. Actually it went worse and worse and finally it could just half-load the bios and reboot- until I found the problem, soldered a new capacitor and the damn thing began running normally again.

this could also be a problem with the processor being a) over clocked or b) underclocked check the voltage settings and jumpers and multiplier in bios or jumper set on the board as per the manual for correct settings :)

Also had doubts about the psu so removed the psu from my pc (Antec true 430) and connected it to the IBM but same thing.

As for cpu clock speed I think that it is set correctly: the mother doesn´t have any jumper besides the clear cmos, the bios reports the speed correctly and there aren´t any options to deal with proc speed, do you have any idea on other way to check if it is correct? since can only boot in DOS I used Hardware Info to see cpu speed but I think that the app reports directly from the proc and not the real settings in the mother.

Thanks for answering.

I had this problem once with a celeron and it turns out it was the cpu. Dust caused the cpu fan not to work right and in turn over heat the cpu. I had the same problem like you where it wouldn't finish loading the os. I replaced the fan and the cpu and it worked after that. Hope that helps.

you could boot onto an Bart'sPE CD and run Prime95 for testing the whole motherboard/processor/memory package;

but 2 doubts about:
- i don't know if Prime want to run in a WinPE environment;
- you will get confirmed the system instability, but this doesn't brings you really forward

Don't have this mainboard, is there a way to monitor the CPU temperature? Might be a heat problem- I guess you have already checked that your CPUfan is working properly...

The system does the same when booting with Bart´sPE, also tryied BeOS and wasn´t even able to reach the first setup screen.

The mother doesn´t come with a temp monitor in the BIOS it´s very restricted in functions, as the heatsink/fan that comes original with the pc looked very suspicious I replaced it with a new coolermaster.

Also replaced the cpu (Celeron 800) with another (PIII 700)one but the BIOS get´s me to a message where it says that cpu can be recognized so that´s getting me nowhere, I´ll go with a friend who still has a socket 370 mother and test the IBM´s cpu there if everything works fine then the mother is the cause of the problems.