I am confused, Chickenman or someone can shed a light.

BachPhi

I have a 640x272 2.31:1 AVI and I am using D2SRoba/DVD2SVCD to convert to SVCD.
My Final target will then be combined with other SVCDs using DVDLAB to produce a DVD.

Now, when I using conversion anamorphic (no border, encoded as 16:9) and look at the produced AviSynth_Script_file.avs. it shows:

LanczosResize(480,362)
AddBorders(0,59,0,59)

However, If using the formula to calculate the dimension:
(720x640) x 272) /(11/10) = 278 round up to 288, so I have

LanczosResize(480,288)
AddBorders(0,96,0,96)

Using this I enter them to avisynth script. But this picture come out look crushed/compressed!!

It seemed to loot best at
LanczosResize(480,336)
AddBorders(0,72,0,72)

What's my correct approach to produce best quality?

Firstly, it would make more sence to convert to 1/2 D1 size (352x480) than to SVCD if you intend to put it onto a DVD. SVCD resolution is NOT a DVD standard while 1/2 D1 is. Select it in DVD2SVCD's Frameserver Tab selecting CVD.

You make no mention which version of DVD2SVCD your using ? The Formula your using to calculate borders is not for ANAMORPHIC conversions, therefore does not apply. If you feel:

LanczosResize(480,336)
AddBorders(0,72,0,72)

looks better than the original calulated

LanczosResize(480,362)
AddBorders(0,59,0,59)

then I'd suggest the AVI was screwed in the first place and needs to have the final pic size to be manually found by "trial and error", as you have done.

BachPhi

Oops, forgot to mention version. I am using latest v1.2.2.b3 for DVD2SVCD and v3.78 D2SRoba.

Thanks for the reponse. Do I loose more resolution by going half like that.?

BachPhi said:
Do I loose more resolution by going half like that.?
Not quite sure what you mean there. If the output (whatever the settings used) is in correct aspect ration and looks right, then go with that only, regardless ofg what the actual settings are.

One thing that had me running round in circles, is that the aspect ratio of the content (2.3, 16:9, 4:3) and of the image size are not necessarily the same (eg. the pixels are NOT SQUARE), which can make working out resizes and crops pretty awkward

And to make things worse, the latest ver of DVD2SVCD has changed the Apsect Ratio settings for about the 20th bloody time !!!!!! Talk about confusing. Its now set up for AVI's with 1:1 square pixels ONLY. Do a capture at, say, 720x576 and your stuffed, you have to resort to manually editing the Avisynth script.

The latest unreleased beta however fixes this problem, so I understand :D

BachPhi

ChickenMan said:
Not quite sure what you mean there. If the output (whatever the settings used) is in correct aspect ration and looks right, then go with that only, regardless ofg what the actual settings are.
What I meant was if going to 1/2 D1 which is (352x480) dont I get less resolution than going to 480x480?

In theory yes, but its only slight. The bitrate will be increased to overcome any shortfall there though. Main point is 1/2 D1 is DVD compliant, while SVCD 480x4870 is NOT. There is no guarentee it will play in your current DVD Player or any future player you may get.