how to re-author VOBs

i had just ripped the movie files itself....it's about 4gb....i don't want to re-encode everythin because the files are small enough to fit on a single dvd

is there a tool that will re-author the VOBs with the chapters intact without encoding all over again.....i don't want loss of quality and waste of time to re-encode dvd

wokybyte said:
i had just ripped the movie files itself....it's about 4gb....i don't want to re-encode everythin because the files are small enough to fit on a single dvd

is there a tool that will re-author the VOBs with the chapters intact without encoding all over again.....i don't want loss of quality and waste of time to re-encode dvd

try DVDLAB :)

Next time, use Shrink in Re-Author mode, it will rip the movie only with NOTHING done to it quality wise and re-author, all in the one go.

With the files you have, I would use VobEdit to demux out the Video & Audio streams first, then use DVDLab or TMPGenc DVD Author to re-author them back to dvd.

CM

you're rite about the shrink part which it can be done but when things don't work out....i prefer another method

since dvdlab pro has a steep learnin curve because this is for home backups only......i downloaded dvd composer on a trial basis.......it de-mux audio and video.....and mux them back together again as you said

my next question is when dvd composer de-muxes and muxes them together.....is there any loss of quality at all in the process?

The demux and mux processes do NOT affect the quality of the video or audio. They do no encoding etc. All they simply do is split the VOB files apart into its 2 separate streams (Video & Audio). Muxing is the opposite.

The problem of demuxing and authoring is that chapter points are lost. You have to extract the chapter points (ChapterExtractor) then put them back in during the authoring step. If Shrink is not working for you (cant work out why not) then I would use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, select the VTS that contains the movie, in Stream Processing tab, tick the Video & Audio streams you want and select Demux for both. Make sure in Setup that it doesnt spit the file but makes 1 big one. It can also save out chapter info as well. The Author the 2 files back with TMPGEnc DVD Author entering the original chapter pionts as well. Final quality will be IDENTICAL to the original.

I'd really spend some time checking out why Shrink is not working for you, it is the simplest solution for what you want to do.