how much better will my graphics be?

I've recently decided to take the plunge and replace my elderly XFX Geforce FX5200 with a PNY Geforce 6600GT which I will be taking delivery of tommorow. I was just wondering if anyone could give my any idea of how much better games will perform (plus base spec is P4 2.4GHz N/Wood 800MHz FSB, 1025MB DDR400 (4*256) dual channel)

Hi :)

U should find that Ur graphics look much better & slightly sharper & U will be able to run games at higher res with more options enabled :)

I been looking to get one of those cards myself :)

BaNzI :D

Congrats with the card,dude!Probably more than 300 % performance gain.... :D

You can't compare it with a 52OO,it's performance belongs more in the same fps range as an ATI 9800XT,Nvidia 5950 or 6800..... :D ;)

It's a subtopper.....great bang for the $ :)

Unfortunately last time I did a major core spec upgrade, I decided to be a cheapskate with the graphics (hence the 5200), big mistake, though it was much better than my old Geforce2 GTS.

The 5200 is designed for the same market segment as the Geforce 4MX - though actually, on DX7 tasks, a GF4 MX440 would probably wipe the floor with it - sure, it's technically capable of doing all the DX9 stuff, but it just doesn't have the poke.

The 5200 pointscores off ATI a little, as Nvidia's basic card can do DX9, while ATI's can't - unless ATI chooses to phase out the 9200 range, and positions the 9550 as the new entry level.

I replaced an MX 440/ 64 MB with an FX 5200/ 128 MB and the performance boost was huge- although the 5200 is hardly a fast card, of course. Simply notice that MX 440 does not run the AGP bus higher than 4X...
Actually my 3.5 year old GF2 Ti 200 is noticeably faster than the MX 440!

Last edited:

Master

Gold Member
I upgraded from a 4200ti to 6600GT and i wasn´t impressed.

The first 6600GT was for the junkyard and was replaced from my computer shop.

The second is working but i got a lot of problems with Half Life 2.

After replacing the 6600GT with my old 4200ti again all problems were gone.

I would recommend a real 6800 card instead of this loser card.

Check the guru3d forum and you will find a lot of angry 6600gt users.

I put a msi nx6600gt pcie in a new machine I put together and can't complain.

For the price I've found it a great card, there is not that much difference in the 6600 and 6800 to warrant the price difference.

It even came bundled with 3 full games, albeit not latest releases

the 6600GT is working fine at the moment, I'm gradually edging up the quality settings on Doom3 to start pushing the card more. Now I just need to pick up a SATA cable and I can get my new drive up and running (got a few with my mainboard but didn't bring them back to UNI with me :(