How Hot Are Your CPUs'?

I have recently cleaned my CPU/heatsink (Athlon 1.4) and applied arctic silver 3

This reduced it from running at 50 degrees to running at 35-39 degrees (idle in XP)

My question is what types of CPU do you all use, what temp they normally run at and what cooling measures do you use?

I have a TITAN TTC-MT1AB cooler with double fan and 6000 RPM certified to run even an Athlon XP 2100+, but I don't think I will keep this cooler when I upgrade my current CPU(Athlon XP 1800+) because it's an aluminium cooler after all and I'll be better with a copper cooler. You have to take in account the room temperature too, how well ventilated it's the case, what termal compound you use and how well/clean is the CPU/heatsink installation. Here where I live the temperatures are high(summer right now) and have 38-39c at idle and 58-60c at full load, and it's a bit high, so perhaps I should do the same as you an clean CPU/heatsink and apply a better grease.
I use CPUIdle 5.9 to cool the CPU down and extend it's life, because Win9x has cooling but it's disabled and that means the CPU it's allways at full load.:rolleyes:

me still needs a damn temperature sensor for my old athlon classic 700 mhz (Slot A)
i can only say it's quite warm at the bottom of the cooler, can't feel any difference between full load and idle ;)
but it can't be too hot cause it runs like that for about 2 and a half year.
i could even overclock it via FSB to ~850 MHz at a little higher vcore without any crashes, i set it back to normal cause i couldn't notice any speed imcrease ...
forti

Last edited:

dx

My numbers are the same as Duracell with an Athlon XP 2100+, Arctic Silver 3, and a Dr. Thermal V77L Heatsink (standard model) on an Asus A7V333.

Just a side note to Athlon XP users. Athlon XP's run hotter than many other processors. It's not a bad thing so long as the temperature is not excessive. Although they are designed to run as hot as 90C max, the general consensus is 65C or below on full load is a good temperature range. If you are below this number, relax as your temp is fine. If your numbers are creeping above this number, start looking for a better cooling solution. A good thermal paste, a heatsink that uses copper, and a good fan will lower your temps 10C or more.

Also make sure your computer case is getting adequate airflow through it. The solutions above will not help you if you have poor case ventilation.

just some experience with a hot athlon:
even 90 degree can't be max, one of my friends athlon was running at 96 degree for few days and it still works ... (now with a better cooling)
was at a lan party at the first day he always had bluescreens and reinstalled windows several times... he even had bs during setup ... at the second day i said him to look into his bios and i was shocked seeing the 96° there :eek:
his cooler was really nice (copper) but the fan was some shit ....
so i've given him my spare old fan which made it run at less than 55° ...
forti

dx

Forti, 90C (not F) is the "maximum die temperature" for Athlon XP's 2100+ and below will operate at without thermal failure (it's 85C for the 2200+ and above (smaller die process)). Theses are AMD specifications. If your Mobo has thermal shutdown protection, it will shut down at these numbers by default.

Is it possible that he was running at 96C? Yes, but not without EXTREEME risk (ie, damage) to the Athlon XP die. His constant BSOD's were a symptom of a thermal breakdown and failure of his processor. Running at this temp. for any period of time will destroy it. As I understand it, this portion of the processor actually starts to break down on the microscopic level leading to permanent damage.

But just because it can run up to 90C, does not mean that's a good temp to run at. The higher your temp, the more performance hit you are going to take. That is why 65C is a good number, as it's roughly 2/3 of the max die temp. Keeping your temps at lower that that number, will help your overall stability and performance.

I'm running a AMD XP 1800+ overclocked to 1900+ and my temps are: Idle-27C Full load 40C room temp of 23C. I'm using a thermalright AX-7 heatsink with a Y.S. Tech 80mm adjustable fan & AS3 (Artic Silver 3).
For the low idle temps I'm using WPCRSET for the AMD 761 chipset.

athlon xp1600
and
vcool
Idle 29c
sys 27c(mb)

when overclock to 1900 and converting videos:
Load 49c
sys 31c(mb)

a big piramid cooler!

FortiTude: when you mentioned a BS during windows setup (presumably 2000 or XP and bs is BSOD) I also had that problem (then again everything crashed). At the time I dismissed it as being windows instability.

CPU: AMD K6/2, 500MHz
MBM5 Info [System: 41°C/106°F CPU(1): 40°C/104°F 40% - 80 % load

Idle over night when cooler sits on 35c CPU 35c System

have nothing but probs when over 40 c .. PC slows down to crawl..use 2 case fans .. and fan suks hot air out ..

I'm running a AMD Duron 700 at 770
idle temp. 48C
full load. 52C
I only have some problems with a hot summer day then I must set my processor speed back to normal.