help with battlfield vietnam!

goodsoul

how the hell do you back up an original of the game?how do i know what protection is on the disc ?

anybody managed to back it up and get on line ?

cheers

ITS safedisk protected you need to use the safedisk2/3 settings of alcohol 120% and burn using the same settings at 4x

as for online you will be able to IF you own the original with the ORIGINAL product key as the servers check for stolen or duplicate keys and blacklist and ban them !

goodsoul

aye i do have the original its just i cant be arsed loading it up all the time.
cheers fella im downloading alcohol right now .

goodsoul

ive tried alcohol and when i try to create an image i get error at 1514 followed by a load more errors!!!!!
anybody help?

This type of protection works by the inclusion or errors on the disc ......usually the first 3% of the disc..so read errors are normal.....did you select the safedisc 2/3 profile ?.....also you'll need an efm capable burner..what make is your burner m8?

The error skipping is dependant on the drive...some skip them really fast whilst others can take longer, i'm not sure whether your burner can write efm correctly so your best bet would be to use a cdrw unless you don't mind wasting a cdr or two...first try writing with the safedisc profile, if it works it means you have an efm capable burner if it doesn't work burn with the safedisc 2/3 profile. If that still fails you could try clonecd with Amplify weak sectors enabled when burning. Btw one point to note is that a backup will not work from a burner unless you have Ignore media type enabled in Alcohol or in the clonecd tray, it's preferable to use a cdrom or dvdrom if you have one in your system.

goodsoul

got it sorted !
it took about 1 hour to read it .
1st disc i tried and its spot on ,game boots up fine and the online works fine too .
cheers fellas :D

celtic_druid said:
Any drive can scipt the errors in seconds if you do a fast dump. That is assuming that it is still possible to do a fast dump.
It is still possible but with the latest safedisc versions where the image is made using fastdump the resulting burnt copies are unreliable even with a 2 sheep burner.

Certainly from sd 2.9+, it's preferable to just read the cd normally and be patient while the duping proggy works its way through the numerous unreadable sectors in the first 10,500 sectors or so.