Help Needed!!

02coled

hello
i got my P4 3.20E GHZ SKT 478 today and installed it pc started fine logged into windows then it installed driver for a UNI PROCESSOR os something then said the hardware needs to restart to work properly. so let it restart now it gets past the bios and then restarts and i have changed processors to the previous one and reset the BIOS yet still no luck doesnt get past BIOS so i need to know what to do next thanks
Damian Cole

02coled

hello
finally sorta got the pc working on the P4 having to boot up throught "Tune up back up though" but is ok i have just run Si soft Sandra 2005 and it has found that i have error with my CPU and windows with error 1332 "Hardware DEP is not surported by your CPU.Software DEP is currently in use. Consider uprading for complete security" can some one please explain this to me thanks and what i need to do
thanks
Damian Cole

Data Execution Prevention. Supposedly a security feature. Don't remember how to limit it to just windows os, but it also screws up other programs as well.

02coled

Nunyobiznes said:
Data Execution Prevention. Supposedly a security feature. Don't remember how to limit it to just windows os, but it also screws up other programs as well.
so how do i upgade it as its says i need to as there is an error with it and NEEDS update
thanks
Damian Cole

02coled

hello
thanks for the link that is turnened off but i have now seen another problem that had apeared the cpu is being recognised as P4 3.20Eghz but the speed is beign shown in CPU-Z and systen and SANDRA 205 as 2.8ghz and also in the system BIOS this has happened today and was before i changed the DEP can someone please help i have also done a screen shot of CPU-Z to show you
thanks
Damian Cole

Attachments

If It Sandra warning you that "you do not have hardware DEP support", that is about as much use as it telling you that "xxx is rather old".

Windows XP SP2 supports two forms of "data execution protection", the hardware form, where the CPU supports the NX/XD bit which is normally effective against buffer overflow expoits and other forms of "mistaken" code execution, and the software form, which is of questionable validity.

Hardware DEP is like a traffic barrier, while software DEP is like a stop light.

On the last run of exploits, I elevated my settings (I DO have hardware DEP) to cover all applications except those given an exception (currently 6 exceptions active, and 3 called for but refused, as something was clearly screwed up at the time).

Unless it actually gives problems, I would leave the standard level of software DEP enabled, but probably not extend it, as software DEP lacks the muscle to delever.

Eg. in the old "WMF exploit", it was said that hardware DEP was effective in stopping it, but software DEP was not.

02coled

hello
still cant get 3.2ghz p4 to run at 3.2ghz still locked at 2.8ghz and 14x multiplier when it should be 16x have upgarded BIOS with to diffrent editions now and still no change so i had to OC it to 3,2ghz giving me the shown cpu-z screen shot bellow but i still need to solve the problem as i would like it to be standard 3.2ghz not OC to 3.2ghz as obvioulsy im stressing it through 14 not 16 multiplied and raising the FSB but owell any HELP would be mostly welcome
thanks guys
Damian Cole

Your multiplier should be set (within BIOS) to x16. In your second shot you have raised the FSB to 230+ MHz, which will surely create serious stability and heating problems.
You could also raise the FSB with most decent mobos to some 210 MHz without issues, but anything more than that is equivalent to asking for trouble.
Your mainboard does support 16x multiplier, I'd suggest resetting the BIOS (the jumper which allows that is between the ULI onboard chip and the two PCI bays, I think you will spot it easily).

02coled

scarecrow said:
Your multiplier should be set (within BIOS) to x16. In your second shot you have raised the FSB to 230+ MHz, which will surely create serious stability and heating problems.
You could also raise the FSB with most decent mobos to some 210 MHz without issues, but anything more than that is equivalent to asking for trouble.
Your mainboard does support 16x multiplier, I'd suggest resetting the BIOS (the jumper which allows that is between the ULI onboard chip and the two PCI bays, I think you will spot it easily).
there is no option within the BIOS to change the multiplier and i will try resting BIOS tonight when i get home. And i raised the FSB to get 3.2ghz out of it and it seem to run cool and passes tests yet i will put it back to 200.I Will Get back to you later
thanks
Damian Cole

02coled

hello
it worked such a simple thing iv been updating and downgradign BIOS editions and a simple thing like reseting to defaults with the jumper and its solved it all now running at 3.2ghz at 16x multiplier thanks scarecrow and every one that suggested a solution thanks guys
Damian Cole

Attachments