Help Needed

i would like to know which is the best of the newer consoles out there at the moment .... which can be chipped and where i can get more information about these machines. I hope someone can help a confused parent......

thats a hard one and VERY subjective

from my personal opinion (which will be strongly dissagreed with i hope)

gamecube - best current console, a smallish library of superbly playable games and a few of the usual multi fort dross titles that blight most systems (although several have (like the xbox versions) a few graphical enhancements over the ps2 versions, but backups are not GENERALY around YET ;)

xbox - dead easy to chip, realy requires you to have a dvdr drive for your backups, sadly absolutly nothing commercial worth getting, the games are all of a poor standard (although a few are very pretty i'd hate to think of the last time my kids played anything on the xbox, although there is a lively homebrew scene.

ps2 - expensive to chip (for games buy a messiah or clone), a vast library of mediocre games and some truely great games, most cd based games can be backed up and played directly as can dvd games if you have a dvdr, a large number of high quality dvd rips can be found on the internet allowing you to play many of you dvd based originals from a nice cheap cdr backup

i'm sure that will only confuse you further, but the best bet is (assuming you can afford) buy a gamecube for its excellent games then buy one of the others (chipped) to collect the dross (xbox has more potential than ps2 but ps2 has better games at the moment)

ABCMan

@ ABCMAN not forgetting the HUGE original playstation and psone back catalogue that also play on a ps2 and if chipped plays those games for the chipped flavour of playstation and psone :)

cube has backups floatin around as you said not generally avail hard to aquire even on the net but i seen crazy taxi and sonic in jap flavours unfortuanatly on a now dead FXP i was using for psx bits, either that or the passwords been changed bah !! so they ARE possible so no doubt they will hit here soon with a handy soldering iron or plug in addon near you lol ;) why else are puter stores stocking 3 inch disks lol ? ;)

true, i do my best to forget the psx/psone ;) with its huge library of shovelware and few decent games (a sony pattern here?)

That said how sad is it that i've spent 6 hours scouring ftp's to track down a ps2 conversion of a mega cd game :( called switch, its one of the most bizarre games i have ever played so i REALY want that game, i finaly tracked it down to an ftp that i'm banned from :( (aint that always the case) so a proxy and i'm in but its slow as hell and i'm not going to get it untill tomorrow morning i dont think, still i found a few other bits on my search so i'm grabing them as a consolation for the time being :D

I must admit, i've never come across either of the 2 gc iso's you mention but i did see a load of u.s. ones the other week on a pre server.

oh and i dont think you need a chip or an add on, its a disc ;) (i think). and as you well know all those little dvd-r discs are starting to appear in computer shops because a couple of new digital cameras are now using them for storage ;) (honestly:D)

Last edited:
i would opt for the ps2,playstation or psone,there easy and cheap to chip (£10 for playstation and psone and £30 with an action replay for ps2), there is a huge amount of games for the sonys compared to the otheres and although they may lack a little in grafical quality they more than make up (in my opinion) in playablility.
The backup games are also cheap at £5 a go so you will soon have a huge amount of games to choose from.

fyi: im not a console person i dont own any consoles this is all from my experience from chipping them and people coming back to me with feedback :)