Help needed for network connections

Ok guys,here is my problem.My router(linksys)broke down so i bought a new one.Its a dlink604.Problem is that im trying to setup a ftp server,it was working before,will work again,hopefully just need to setup the parametars right. :)
My ip is dynamic so i need to setup a static one from pc to router.Before with old router this was my info;
ip 192.168.1.5 subnet 255.255.255.0 defaul gateway192.168.1.1 prefered dns 199.166.210.5
Support from linksys told me before that i should put these and it worked,but i dont know how to find it for a new router.See the picture down.Dlink support told me to put these but its no working.First parameters are ok,but i think they are wrong with preffered dns.So how to find a right value???
Any tips are welcome.. :)

Attachments

You would normally hard-set the IP for a system using the router configuration
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1443&question=DI-604_revE / DI-614+_revB / DI-514 / DI-514_revC / DI-524 / DI-774 / DI-774_revC / DI-784 / DI-624_revB / DI-624_revC

You may also need to port-forward, or set it in a server applications setting.

One thing which does vary between routers, is the DNS handling...
Some routers serve as a DNS proxy, and the DHCP assigned DNS address is the router.
Others appear to pass the DNS through, and the DHCP assigned DNS is the same as the external ISP DNS.

Vyper-it does have to be static-so if i put a automatic-it wont work-tested :)
Anyway-somehow i managed a half way-i get thry but not complet :confused:
somebody can help me with this log,please-might be a solution :confused:
WinSock 2.0
Connecting to .org
Connected to IP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx PORT=4001
220 s hideout
USER Zverrrrrrrrrrr
331 Password required for Zver.
PASS (hidden)
230 User Zver logged in.
SYST
215 UNIX Type: L8
REST 100
350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 100.
REST 0
350 REST supported. Ready to resume at byte offset 0.
PWD
257 "/" is current directory.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A.
PASV
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,0,20,157,236)
Data Socket Error: Connection refused
List Error
and thats it??
any network animal is more then welcome to try to solve the case :)
edit;i solved a dns but still i got this problem and i did forwarded port of course :)

Last edited:
few tries:
first: disable passive mode
second: use flashfxp and enable "site uses ip masq/nat/non-routable ip" (try both with pasv disabled and enabled)
if both doesnt work check the homepage of your isp if they provide a ftp proxy and use that one to connect
forti

FortiTude said:
few tries:
first: disable passive mode
second: use flashfxp and enable "site uses ip masq/nat/non-routable ip" (try both with pasv disabled and enabled)
if both doesnt work check the homepage of your isp if they provide a ftp proxy and use that one to connect
forti
Wow Forti,it worked.I putted a ""disabled passive""and it worked :)
But now,what is confusing me that always somebody gave me access to some ftp or when i go to ftps of big software companys to get some app or patch i always used passive mode,also people were logging passive @ me.What is the deal with non-passive???is it less chance to get connected??or any other downside???
Thanks a lot!! :)

cheers forti ... that would of been my next suggestion as a whole heap of sites i use need this passive /ip masq enabled or it will simply just not list the directorys :(

Now I'll stretch my limited knowledge to the limit...

Non passive (client):
You connect to FTP on port 21
The server connects to you on port 20 FTPDATA
If you are behind a firewall/router, then the second connections is a problem, unless the router links it to the port 21 outgoing, and sends it back to the same source - various names for it, many routers support it.

Passive (PASV) Client:
You connect on port 21, and you make an additional outgoing connect on an arbitrary port - this moves the firewall/router traversal issue to the other end.

DMZ or port forwarding can help, but for some situations, you'd have to forward ALL TCP ports, unless the router is smart.