Help Needed Benq 1620

daveyboy37

Hi i need help . just bought a benq 1620 OEM. It is a direct replacement for an older Sony burner.I connected up the same way as the Sony. when i boot up the pc freezes on the start up screen. Dont know much about installing dvd burners. Am i supposed to find drivers for it or does it autodetect. Also i have been told it might be caused by my nvidia chipset and that i should use native microsoft drivers.I have no idea what this means, so if this is likely to be the problem a full explanation of what i need to do would be much appreciated. :confused:
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the Forum :D

Why not introduce yourself http://www.dvdrbase.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141

& tell your fellow members about yourself.

Please read the rules

And please use the search button http://www.dvdrbase.com/search.php?

Your problem may have cropped up before.

Finally a tip re viewing the Forums

When you are in a particular forum if you cant see what you want use
the display options box at the bottom of the page to view more threads.

:D

There could be many reasons for this but first thing to check is have u configured the burner the same as the Sony <> master or slave <> & are u sure the new burner is OK <> u may need to try it in another PC.It does not need drivers.BUT the nvidia can cause problems check out this thread
http://www.dvdrbase.com/showthread.php?t=32137

let us know how u get on

If the previous one worked and this one chokes then check the jumper position at the back of the drive. Latest nforce IDE drivers should work, one way or another, and no, Atapi devices are supported natively and don't need any special drivers.

scarecrow said:
Latest nforce IDE drivers should work, one way or another.

I second that......with version 2.6 of their Nforce ide driver,they FINALLY got things right.....after 2 years of problems ....
:rolleyes: :D

daveyboy37

Thanks for the help but the problem is still here. I currently have a sony u10a oem and a sony dru 700a. I have installed the benq in place of both the other drives, making sure that the jumpers are set according to the drive i have taken out. On the brief moment at bootup when the system drives are displayed the benq does appear. Windows does start to boot up but freezes on the windows xp loading screen. Oh well i knew i should have opted for the pioneer 108 or the nec 3500.

Few things to try:
1.Check the ide cable if it's fitted correctly
2.disconnect the other drive,bootup and report back...

Boot in safe mode,rightclick "my computer" icon,choose "properties",go to device manager-->ide ata/atapi controllers and see what ide driver you use..

daveyboy37 said:
Hey roadworker. I did that im using nVidia nForce2 (v2.6)Latest :D

On my mobo,this driver works fine.....but it's possible that it doesn't work properly on yours......try to change drivers by replacing the Nvidia ones to the windows native ones.....you can do that by updating drivers--> I choose

daveyboy37

Hey Roadworker. Many many thanx. Uninstalled the nvidia ide controller drivers, installed native microsoft. Hey presto detected and loaded first time.
Thanx also to Scarecrow & The Poacher. :D

daveyboy37 said:
No Roadworker. Its an Asus a7n8x Deluxe.

That's weird....I have the -E version of that mobo and everything is OK......my former board, an Abit NF7-S v2 never worked properly with the Nforce ide drivers,but my Asus does...