GS2 + DVD-R question

Hi.. I have a V5 PS2 with a no soder mod chip and a version 1.9 GS2,Verbaitum DVD-R. I've tried what GameGizmo.com suggest on booting V5 no soder modchip's and DVD-R's but have had no success, I've also tried the Dave Mira technique but my PS2 freezes at the to many codes screen and pressing O doesn't bring me back screens. I've tried to burn a v1.3 GS2 cd but it will never boot. Can anyone tell me another way/technique to boot my DVD-R games or how to properly burn a GS CD?? Thx for any help anyone can give :D

Try this

If your technique is like the one below (I did not compare with the site you mentioned), try the next one. Let me know if it works! :)

Load AR2 V2 keeping Resetbutton pressed
- Select Action Replay Codes
- highlight Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2 Code
- press START
- press EJECT and insert Original-TOC-DVD
- wait 10 Seconds
- now press 'X' on with Codes and 'X' once again
- Error-Message appears: 'Too many Codes'
- original TOC DVD stops spinning (thx, Datel *g*)
- now perform EA Trick (release Reset-Button) & insert DVDR Backup
- press 'X' to confirm Error-Message
- now press Circle twice to enter Mainmenu again
- START GAME, without Codes, press 'X'
- Codes are getting actualised
- DVDR boots

(1) Boot AR2/GS2 disc 1.
(2) At the main screen (picture 1), press the EJECT button to eject the CD tray.
(3) Replace the AR2/GS2 disc with an original PS2 DVD game, such as Dead or Alive 2.
(4) Close the CD tray (press EJECT again) and wait for about 30 seconds.
(5) Select START GAME (picture 2) and then select WITHOUT CODES (picture 3).
(6) Once the AR2/GS2 is asking to change the game disc (picture 4), press the EJECT button till the light changes from
green to orange.
(7) The CD tray will now open and you can replace the DVD game with your backup copy.
(8) The CD tray will automatically close after about 5 seconds.
(9) Wait till the the power LED changes from orange to green again and press X now to start the game.

romm2002a

Ar2

Will this work with a V7 PS2 and a Action Replay 2? I have tried it by using the slide and swap technique (Refer to Swap Magic discs) but it does not work.

On the Other hand... The Swap Magic discs work for me. The only reason why I went out and bought the AR2 is because the Swap Magic discs that I got seem to be of very poor quality and looks like the label is wearing thin. By that I mean if you look at the disc you can see that the printing wasn't done very well as you can see right through the disc in some areas and I don't know how long these discs are going to last.
By the way... The Swap Magic discs came like this right out of the box.

Does anyone else have this problem with their Swap Magic discs?

albertn said:
If your technique is like the one below (I did not compare with the site you mentioned), try the next one. Let me know if it works! :)

Load AR2 V2 keeping Resetbutton pressed
- Select Action Replay Codes
- highlight Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX2 Code
- press START
- press EJECT and insert Original-TOC-DVD
- wait 10 Seconds
- now press 'X' on with Codes and 'X' once again
- Error-Message appears: 'Too many Codes'
- original TOC DVD stops spinning (thx, Datel *g*)
- now perform EA Trick (release Reset-Button) & insert DVDR Backup
- press 'X' to confirm Error-Message
- now press Circle twice to enter Mainmenu again
- START GAME, without Codes, press 'X'
- Codes are getting actualised
- DVDR boots

(1) Boot AR2/GS2 disc 1.
(2) At the main screen (picture 1), press the EJECT button to eject the CD tray.
(3) Replace the AR2/GS2 disc with an original PS2 DVD game, such as Dead or Alive 2.
(4) Close the CD tray (press EJECT again) and wait for about 30 seconds.
(5) Select START GAME (picture 2) and then select WITHOUT CODES (picture 3).
(6) Once the AR2/GS2 is asking to change the game disc (picture 4), press the EJECT button till the light changes from
green to orange.
(7) The CD tray will now open and you can replace the DVD game with your backup copy.
(8) The CD tray will automatically close after about 5 seconds.
(9) Wait till the the power LED changes from orange to green again and press X now to start the game.

oldtymer said:
Hi.. I have a V5 PS2 with a no soder mod chip and a version 1.9 GS2,Verbaitum DVD-R. I've tried what GameGizmo.com suggest on booting V5 no soder modchip's and DVD-R's but have had no success, I've also tried the Dave Mira technique but my PS2 freezes at the to many codes screen and pressing O doesn't bring me back screens. I've tried to burn a v1.3 GS2 cd but it will never boot. Can anyone tell me another way/technique to boot my DVD-R games or how to properly burn a GS CD?? Thx for any help anyone can give :D
Have you read the PS2 Modchip Boot Procedures thread in the console gaming tutorials section? There are some no-solder + GS2 methods there :)

ps2king

romm2002, what kind of modchip do you have? If you say ur ps2 is a v7 then there swap discs would NOT work. Swap discs work for the following Versions. V1-V6. Because the only modchips compatible with the v7 are no swap chips.

romm2002a

ps2king said:
romm2002, what kind of modchip do you have? If you say ur ps2 is a v7 then there swap discs would NOT work. Swap discs work for the following Versions. V1-V6. Because the only modchips compatible with the v7 are no swap chips.
I don't have a mod chip. I only use the Swap Magic 2 discs and so far they've been working like a charm. Can't say the same about AR2 as I have not yet been able to use it as a swap disc.

ps2king

Sorry I didn't know u used the cog knife technique, that's why I asked. Not many people are up with the cog knife technique. But now that you mention it can I ask you, why do you do the cog knife technique, don't you care about ur ps2?

divx

that knife technique was the first method i heard to boot ps2 backups, superised that there are ppl actually use it.

ps2king

I'm just as surprised as you are divx. These days people don't know the technology and don't know all the possiblilites that are out there.