Good RAM for Asus boards?

After all the grief I got from my old rig, I've decided to build a new one with parts that will work well. This will bet an Asus P4C800 m'board and pair it up with a P4 2.4 GHz CPU (all with 800 MHz FSB) and 2 pairs of DDR400 RAM modules (as I understand, they can run dual channel so it acts like 800)

Does anyone know the best RAM to use? (And possibly the best cooling to use or is the Intel supplied heatsink trustworthy?)

Unless you´re planning on doing some overvlocking the heatsink that comes with Intel boxed processors is fine.

Right now I´m running my P4C800 with a pair of Infineon DDR modules at 400 mhz
resulting in an 800mhz bus for RAM, friends of mine are using Kingston, Corsair and Samsung AFAIK none of us had any stability problems, can´t tell wich brand is running faster because none have the same speed proc but rest asured that these brands will give you very good response.

Corsair is reputably the best and very hard to go wrong with, though it is about as expensive as can be (and in rare instances, it can go wrong).

I had great experiences with Infineon. There have been some terrible reports (mixed with good) about Geil and the company it apparenty re-brands OCZ.

I recently bought 2 x 500 meg chips of a brand called Buffalo from Newegg.com. These particular pieces use Winbond CH-5 memory, which is supposed to be quite good but not as good as RAM using Winbond BH-5 chips.

Kingston HyperX is also supposed to be supa-dupa and uses those fancy winbond chips.

Last edited:

Mr Snatcher

Corsair is probably the best, there are alot of reveiws about them, and all are good. They are in my opinion the best. The Kingston Hyper-X isnt very overclockable, I know this, cause I have it, and from reveiws and reports from other forums. Kingston is good if your not overclocking. Try a google search if your going to overclock.

dx

Just recently built myself another Asus board. And for the second time, I put a Gig of Corsair RAM in it (DDR400 this time). It may be a little more expensive, but it is worth every penny. :cool: