games on xp will not load

Hi
Problem is that I have just formated & put xp home on & some of my games wont run or load I don't know what to do please help.................driving me to drink,

thanks Gan

I'm running XP Pro and I found that running Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat from a regular account doesn't work. No window are even opened... The only workearound I've found so far is to change the account to be admin. I'm actually looking for a way to keep the account regular and run the game...

thanks guys I will give this a go,I do have directx 9. I have tryed dawn of the modern world, 2x now goes on but then nothing. thanxs agian

Gan

webstur

Games

You require an up to date driver for your Video Card one that will work with directX V9.x. Just go to your manufacturers site and get it there. After install the driver reboot the computer and all should be good to go. What video card do you have?

Last edited:
Hi webstur
I have nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 128mb,looks like droping back good old 9x thank for your advice I will make sure I have the newest drivers. :rolleyes:

gan said:
Hi webstur
I have nvidia geforce 4 mx 440 128mb,looks like droping back good old 9x thank for your advice I will make sure I have the newest drivers. :rolleyes:
Old yes, but good?!
Some old games need to run in compatibility mode under XP.

I can't help you with XP or with games gan but I can recommend that if all this hassle is driving you to drink then may I suggest some nice Cotes du Rhone. Taken in large enough quantities all your troubles will disappear and you'll forget you even had a computer!

Buzzard

Had the same thing

I kept having the same trouble - only I could load the game, yet it would dump me back at the desktop.

Do you have an nvidia geforce card and a via chipset?

If not - you may have a memory issue and if you have more than 1 stick in there - remove one and swap em about if need be.

Other than that - make sure you have the latest chipset drivers - Call of Duty has trouble with the older nforce drivers for example.

nightheart

Buzzard said:
I kept having the same trouble - only I could load the game, yet it would dump me back at the desktop.

Do you have an nvidia geforce card and a via chipset?

If not - you may have a memory issue and if you have more than 1 stick in there - remove one and swap em about if need be.

Other than that - make sure you have the latest chipset drivers - Call of Duty has trouble with the older nforce drivers for example.

I had the problem of being dumped back to the desktop on my wife computer, when trying to game. It happened after some files got corrupted
and i had to repair them from the recovery console. Anyway, i have to disable NAV to play games now. Haven't really worried 'bout fixing it as its not that big a deal to me. Anyway, don't know if that helps.