files....

how do i remove a program in the program list....like when u open a audio or video file u right click on it and choose "open with"..it'll show u a few programs and have "choose frum a list"..or maybe nothing on it....and when i chose a program it automatically saves the program in the open with side box thing....so its there everytime now....well ive chosen a .exe program to open up a video file and i was wondering how would i remove it frum that side box....

why would you want to !?

are you trying to re-associate a file with a different program !?

if this is the case then choose open with and then select choose program make sure the (always use the selected program ) check box is ticked :)

Tommie said:
... and i was wondering how would i remove it frum that side box....
you have to delete the "OpenWithList" for the specific file extension;

if you are familiar with the Windows Registry, here ist an example for the *.htm extension:
Code:
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
"PerceivedType"="text"
@="htmlfile"
"Content Type"="text/html"

[B][HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\FRONTPG.EXE]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe][/B]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\PersistentHandler]
@="{eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20}"
there delete the key [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList] include subkeys;

Greetings from
Duracell

why would i want to??..well as i said i accidently opened up a video file with the VLC.exe....i wanted to open it up in the VLC player....not the .exe program itself....so when it opens up it pops up a window saying if i wanna install vlc when i already have it installed....and its annoying me so i want it removed....