Fedora Core 3 released :)

I don't agree that Fedora is good for private use.
Loads of things are missing (mainly from multimedia) due to obscure licencing issues, which hardly exist (e.g. Fedora is the ONLY Linux distro which cannot even playback MP3 files right out of the box!), and so you have to resort to packages from http://rpm.livna.org/ which hardly go without any conflicts with the official Fedora repositories, or build all them yourself.
There are several other distributions, mainly from small companies, which have everything in, and also some of them are 686-optimized, and as such way faster than Fedora could ever be.
Redhat is good only for those who need a stable server distro and relatively little Linux experience, so they are willing to pay for regular support- or they have a very big infrastructure and want some "your-bucks-guaranteed" Enterprise level support.

N.B.

Staff member
I agree with you. Thought the first things I do after installation,
install the NTFS driver and get mplayer for my distro :)
But still, it is easy to use, and it seems to be more stable then SuSE stuff.
Though I have to admin that I have never tried Mandrake ..
Maybe that is better ;)

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 now. Wow I am amased! Mandrake 10.1 is the first distro that I've tryed wich recognized almost everything on my computer, without breaking everything.

I'm defenitly switching right now :)

big_gie said:
I'm using Mandrake 10.1 now. Wow I am amased! Mandrake 10.1 is the first distro that I've tryed wich recognized almost everything on my computer, without breaking everything.

I'm defenitly switching right now :)
For me 10.1 Official with the included stock 2.6.8.1 kernel was a dissapointment. The switch from devfs to udev was not transparent at all, and I have encountered very annoying things like system hangups and devices disappearing at the middle of a session.
Other than that it's pretty fine, but I would recommend using kernel 2.6.7tmb (from the contrib repository) with the old devfs daemon (eg adding udev --nomount, or even with -noudev although this may break hotplugging, at your LILO or GRUB configuration). You also have to modify /etc/fstab, because the virtual nodes are different at devfs.
With 2.6.7tmb and devfs it was rock solid.
Anbother annoying thing is that the stock kernel has ALSA built into the kernel instead of laoding it as a module- which means that you have to use the utterly crappy aRts daemon to master ALSA. IMHO ALSA as module and dmix as software mixer is a MUCH better solution.
Of course you can wait for an improved MDK udev implementation in the future.
Another thing that Mandrake (and many other Linux distributors) should do is offering packages built with gcc flags tailored for modern 686 machines- the difference in performance may not seem significant to some, but it IS there.
Another stupid thing in all modern distros is supermount- now Linux acts as windows AND behaves like them... eg I had severe trouble with VMWare when supermount was enabled. No trouble at all, supermount can be disabled easily, but I cannot see why the default should be the dummy way...

A very nice mandrake substitute is PCLinuxOS. It's mandrake core with its own RPM repositories, using synaptic (Debian's package manager) for manipulating dependencies, and simpler, more streamlined MCC structure. It's a liveCd but installs rather easily on HD, and suffice to say that it already offers a beautifully working KDE 3.3.1 while 10.1 is still back tro 3.2.3 (or 3.3.0 for Club members).

Last edited:

N.B.

Staff member
A desktop has to be easy to use !
And Linux is waiting for its breakthrought, still because there is a big gap between any distro and Windows when it comes to useability.
I am personally using Debian and RedHat right now, both work really great, but I think most Windows users won´t be happy with Debian, maybe a bit with RedHat.
All the setup thingy and the rest is quite complicated, so it is more work then running Windows, that is why many people like SuSE Linux, in the end .. it is not as stable or bullet proof as others, but it is quite easy to use :)

I know for the "experts" the developement of Linux from a real hacker OS to an Windows style OS might be uncomfortable, but this is what is necessary to become a bigger community ..

We will see what happens next :)

I don't think "configuring" linux (kde here) is so complicated. We think as Windows as simple, but Windows ain't no simple! It's only a question of habits. I know windows by heart, but not linux, so its hard to learn. But since there is many people who doesn't even know windows, they should consider trying linux too!

Personally I'm not using anything else than Slackware anymore on my servers (quality, stability, reliability to the extreme...) but anyone who like cutting edge software for his desktop and finds the Slack packages a bit aged can venture with Gentoo or geek-oriented semi-experimental distros (like my current darling, Arch).
And since the subject here is Fedora, all distros have the right to be buggy, but THAT one is rather too thick a bug...
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2004-November/msg00006.html

N.B.

Staff member
hmm, seems to be quite nasty ...
It really sucks to have a bug filled OS to rely on. At least they have already fixed the bug ... which is at least something :)

I guess I have to try Slackware then ... Maybe I will come together with it...
Just stuck with RedHat for years ... and then switched to Debian for server stuff ...

mojo8850 said:
Hi Guy's.

So out of all this which is the stable and FINAL release.!
If it's CORE 3 but which Test 1 Or 2.! :)

no doubt its out of date already the LAST post above is dated 22-11-2004, 11:00

5 months ago :eek: