Extreem Newbie trying Mandrake

Well, I made the plunge and installed Linux Mandrake 9. It is a very nice looking OS, but is going to be difficult to learn I can see. Not as friendly as winblows :(

Here is the question.... One problem I notice is that after I figured out how to install something (what a pain in the ass that was) I couldn't find where it was installed to, or where to go to run it. Where did it go? :eek:

Question 2...... Looking to play DVD movies, and the packages software doesnt come with appropriate decompressors to play DVD movies. Now what? I found a couple of programs that look like they will work, but once again, how do I install them, and where does it go after that? :confused:

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Tom

There are some different ways to play DVD's in Linux, but my favorite player is Xine. The main problem is the encryption so that is why the distributed packages won't play them. Here is a link to set up Xine to play DVD's with a decryption plugin.

_http://www.linux-sxs.org/dvdplay.html

You should become comfortable with your xterm. This will help you find and run packages that don't happen to show up in your start menu. All binaries are usually stored in one of your bin or sbin (/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin) directories. You can add a link in your start menu to them also.