Echo Audio Gina20: What sort of output jacks are these?

Hey, after hearing so many good things about the quality of stereo output on the Echo audio pci cards, I got a retro Gina20 (with cable and breakout box) on eb@y to try out the sound.

The breakout box has jacks that require plugs that I'm not familiar with: they're clearly not micro plugs and they don't look like RCA plugs. They most closely resemble the size of output required for a full-size headphone connector.

I want to use good quality closed-can headphones and a decent pair of 2 channel pc speakers (later I might hook it up to my main stereo). I'm trying to find out what sort of adapter plugs I need to get from the electronics store to connect a full-size headphone jack and to split the pc speakers' micro jack to left/right stero. Thanks!

Most likely you are referring to 1/4" balanced analog outputs. They are very common in pro-grade audio equipment, for normal home stereos and multimedia you will need a special cable or converter which you can find in most shops that sell professional audio goodies.

Like scarecrow says what you got is an old professional audio interface wich comes with balanced outputs/inputs, to connect your headphones to this card you´ll need an external pre-amp or a small mixer.

If you just want great audio quality and you´re not into audio production check out the m-audio revolution cards or even the soundblaster audigy series used with the KX Project drivers instead of the ones that come with the card can produce a clear audio signal with very fine quality.

weboneando said:
Like scarecrow says what you got is an old professional audio interface wich comes with balanced outputs/inputs, to connect your headphones to this card you´ll need an external pre-amp or a small mixer.

If you just want great audio quality and you´re not into audio production check out the m-audio revolution cards or even the soundblaster audigy series used with the KX Project drivers instead of the ones that come with the card can produce a clear audio signal with very fine quality.
Well as the guy allready bought a echo i think he should stick with it couse revo is not on par with it even if its really good consymer card quality :)

Replacing a Gina with a Revo is surely NOT an option... Gina is a real pro-grade card, while Revo is just a hi-grade consumer card. Piping balanced outputs to common, unbalanced analog inputs is not an expensive solution. And surely enough NO special preamp needed.
I have an Echo MIa (the old model, without MIDI) which also uses balanced output sockets, and all I had to do to connect it to my Plinius integrated amp was buying the right cables.

Last edited: