DVDStripper Does Not Display Drive Info

Drive names still not appearing?!

I am aware that this occasional DS issue with the drive names not appearing in the dropdown selection list has been discussed in the past, but I am not sure if the reason has been identified and a workaround is available. The drives appear just with their letters without names. Of course I can rip without any problem both from a physical drive and a virtual with a mounted image. The drives are on the secondary IDE channel, master is the Pioneer DVDR A06 and secondary another Pioneer DVD-ROM (don't remember the exact model right now.) I also have two virtual drives, one made with Daemon Tools and the other with Alcohol 120%.

Don't get me wrong, I can do the rip, but I'm curious why this issue may sometimes happen.

DS 0.3.0, IfoEdit 0.95, DVD Decrypter 3.1.9.0, WinXP Pro SP1

try unmounting your virtual drives starting with Alcohol120% as that is one of the reasons why it happens with XP

I don't know why but it does, though as you say it still works :)

Hi Amerzone!

The Problem lies within the Windows Management Instrumentation which is used to determin the drive names. Somehow it gets messed up by some virtual drive drivers and also by a few external usb/firewire drives. It then fails to return any drive names at all, so that only the drive letters are displayed, but since, as you already noticed, this doesnt affect the actual processing, this is no serious problem. i just found it more convenient if the drive names were displayed.

A far better solution would have been determinating the drive names with an aspi layer but unfortunatly these cant be directly accessed from Visual Basic. So to avoid additional dependencies for DVDStripper WMI was choosen, but as you noticed isnt very reliable.

Hope this clears things up.

Greetnx

Thanks for the replies. These clear things up a lot...

@ MachemX --> There is no conflict with Daemon Tools, the issue indeed appears only when creating a virtual drive with Alcohol120%.

@ TheMadGuy --> I don't know if I say non-sense, could SPTI be an alternative at least for XP? Frankly speaking, I don't know what this interface is about, just noticed that DVD Decrypter and BurnAtOnce default to SPTI in WinXP. Just guessing though...

Amerzone said:
@ TheMadGuy --> I don't know if I say non-sense, could SPTI be an alternative at least for XP? Frankly speaking, I don't know what this interface is about, just noticed that DVD Decrypter and BurnAtOnce default to SPTI in WinXP. Just guessing though...
Hi again!

No non-sense at all!
i havent checked on SPTI, but i will explore this option as soon as i find the time! Thnx for pointing this out!

Greetnx

imfuct

On my Windows XP system, when I run DVDStripper, it does not show any drive information. It recognizes that I have 4 possible DVD sources (2 physical, and 2 virtual (daemon)), however it only shows the drive letter and not the contents or details of the drive. I have filled out the required paths (ifoedit, temp, dest, and have backup ticked) and the versions of ifoedit and dvddecrypter are the same ones that are listed on the dvdstripper's homepage. I don't receive any errors upon running the exe.

On my Windows 2000 machine, it recognizes the drives correctly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Perhaps the mod could merge the two threads. imfuct gives some more feedback that this issue does not appear in 2k, but only in XP. But then, this could also happen because he does not use any virtual drive in the 2000 box. imfuct, could you probably enlighten us a bit more on this? And btw, in the XP box you use only Daemon Tools drives and not Alcohol, right? If you decrease the number of D-Tools drives to just one, does the problem still appear?

Last edited:
Hi All!

Threads merged

As you can see from the posts above, sadly this is a known problem with the WMI Interface from Microsoft. Mackem & I have succesfully tested a SPTI test with alcohol virtual drives on a system. It worked sofar on Win2K and WinXP, sadly it wont work on Win98. I will implement the SPTI Interface in the next release of DVDStripper. It will get a hybrid routine which will use SPTI on 2k & XP, and fallback to wmi on all other systems. This should at least solve this issue for most ppl encountering it.

For know if you experience this issue, there is no real workaround except for removing all alcohol virtual and any external usb / firewire drives, which obviously cant be an option! Sorry! But blame ms and their lousy wmi for it...

@Amerzone, thnx for the suggestion, it actually worked pretty neat!

Greetnx

imfuct

Thank you all for the replies, and merging with the correct thread (not sure how I missed this one during my search).

@amerzone-
On the windows 2000 machine, I had the same configuration as the XP system, D-tools, with 2 drives virtual, 2 drives physical. I don't use alcohol 120% at all to mount virtual drives, and the version of D-tools I use is 3.33.

Decreasing the drives to 1 does not solve the problem, however disabling d-tools completely (no devices virtual) allows dvd-stripper to function correctly.

Thank you all for helping me with this problem, and thanx to MackemX and TMG for a sweet tool.