dvdrw trouble

bmw3

Hi all i am asking for help on behalf of someone else who does not have a internet connection the trouble he has got is that he brought a sony dvd/cd rewritable drive unit model DW-Q120A put we can not get it to work below is a list of what we have done and what happens.

1) installed drive as slave leaving his other dvd drive as master (new drive not showing as recorder)
2) when trying to burn a disc had this message "i/o device error"
3) reinstalled new drive on its own as master pc would not boot up had blue screen with some text but it whent off to fast for us to be able to read.
4) reinstalled drive jumper set as C/S pc would not boot blue screen as above
5) reinstalled drive as slave pc boots up but can not burn any disc
6) installed new drive into 2 other pc's and it worked fine
7) how can i slow down the blue screen so that we can read it
o/s xp pro, nero 6,dvd decrypter installed
can anyone tell me how to sort this out ? thankyou for any advice anyone may have.:confused:

Last edited:

bmw3

Hi all i am asking for help on behalf of someone else who does not have a internet connection the trouble he has got is that he brought a sony dvd/cd rewritable drive unit model DW-Q120A put we can not get it to work below is a list of what we have done and what happens.

1) installed drive as slave leaving his other dvd drive as master (new drive not showing as recorder)
2) when trying to burn a disc had this message "i/o device error"
3) reinstalled new drive on its own as master pc would not boot up had blue screen with some text but it whent off to fast for us to be able to read.
4) reinstalled drive jumper set as C/S pc would not boot blue screen as above
5) reinstalled drive as slave pc boots up but can not burn any disc
6) installed new drive into 2 other pc's and it worked fine
7) how can i slow down the blue screen so that we can read it
o/s xp pro, nero 6,dvd decrypter installed
can anyone tell me how to sort this out ? thankyou for any advice anyone may have.:confused:
Hi thankyou for replies i have tried to install it as master as stated in item 3 above but when i do the pc will not boot up do you have any more advice for me ?.

bmw3

at an UDMA 33 cable, the cable with only 40 wires;

Greetings from
Duracell
Hi the cable i used has 3 plugs on it one each end and one about a third way along each plug has 40 holes in it is this the right one to use if not what does the right cable look like ?.

Count the wires in the cable, also why don´t you post a description of the pc in question? it could help to know if there´s something else wrong.

bmw3

Count the wires in the cable, also why don´t you post a description of the pc in question? it could help to know if there´s something else wrong.
Hi i have counted the wires and there are 40 the cable also has this printed on it (2651 E169626 UW-1 1050c 300U 28AWG 3az231949 2000) is this the right cable ? i will post details about the pc in question when i can get at it as it is not mine.

Hi i have counted the wires and there are 40 the cable ... is this the right cable ?
it's the right cable; How did you set it up as master and single device? in this case it has to be connected at the farest end, middle plug free;

you can try an UDMA 66 cable in comparison; it has 80 (thinner) wires but the plugs have 40 holes too; every second wire is just an additional electrical ground wire;

at the end it could be a chipset incompatibility (drive <> ATAPI controller) anyway; :eek:

bmw3

dvdrw trouble sorted

Hi all i would just like to thank everyone for there replies the trouble we where having is now sorted we just needed to update the ide ata/atapi controller drivers once this was done both drives work fine.:D